Friday, December 09, 2005

Soon

Every morning when I get up I have choices. As I laze over my cafe con leche and catch up on the internet news, I play out in my mind what needs to be done today. And what doesn't need to be done. Sometimes I pop out of bed and take a shower and do the dishes and put together a shopping list and get my laundry together, and other days I don't take a shower, and just move between the computer table and the hammock and happily put everything off for later. Sometimes I go to the beach, and sometimes I run errands. Sometimes I cook and sometimes I order in. Lots of choices. Lots of time to make them.

Soon I will not have this luxury. Soon I will have to start getting up at 4:30 am and slurp down my coffee and race off to work and slave through the day, then race home from work and maybe stop at the supermarket on the way home and save my chores and errands for Saturday. Soon I will be stressed out at time crunches and too many phone calls and emails that need answering. Soon I will be worrying that I don't have enough business or need a better assistant or enough gas in my car to make it to work. Soon I will have no time to daydream about white sand that doesn't get hot and the bluest of water and skies, but I will anyway.

But soon, as well, I will be able to call any delivery service in the city and tell them exactly what I want, exactly where I live, and find out exactly how much it costs. Soon I will be able to pick up a latte from Starbucks in the morning before I start my day. Soon I will be making money. Soon I will be able to fill in the deep gaps that not learning anything has made in my brain. Soon I will be able to go to Saturday Market, or the Beaverton Farmer's Market, or Victoria's Secret, or New Seasons. Soon I will be able to drive to the gas station, and the supermarket, and the bank. Soon I will be able to plan vacations to a place with white sand that doesn't get hot and the bluest of water and skies. Soon I will be able to plug in my big TV and watch all the shows in English without subtitles.

Who knows what will happen after that, but life I guess is just a series of adventures waiting for the next one to be finished.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, December 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won't know what to think having uniterrupted POWER, CABLE etc etc. Hmmm, what a toss up - power and Starbucks or sun and beach time...that is a tough choice to make. If it makes you feel better, we haven't had a lot of rain here yet ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home