Monday, July 27, 2009

A week of bad hair

It's supposed to get up near and to (how's that for a stack of prepositions?) 100 degrees today and this week (that's 38 to those of you above and below me) (Hey I did it again!). I do love the heat, being a generally colder person (physically, not emotionally..) by nature, but what I don't like is that it is next to impossible to make my hair do anything normal in it.

My apartment keeps cool up until about 95, and then it traps and retains it. I'm on the ground floor so it's not like I can leave windows open all night to get the cool air in, but once I am up and rolling in the morning I try to get as much cool air circulating as possible in the brief amount of time I have to make myself presentable to the world. It doesn't do much good while I get ready, because my bathrooms are sort of tucked into areas that block any air (like most bathrooms, I guess) (this is probably why people tell you to hide in the bathtub during a tornado if you don't have a basement). So consequently, it's sticky and muggy in both bathrooms, even the kitties' bathroom where I do my hair (I almost wrote "style" but let's face it, my hair hasn't had style since about 1981). It's hard to put on mascara, hard to prevent the inevitable Q-Tip-ness of my hair, hard to feel like I look even remotely fabulous for the work day. You know, like I normally do. >cough<

So the Beaverton branch gets to see a less put together Joyce this week, and will probably see some crankiness as well, but I can blame that on the desk I'll be working on (stay tuned for THAT - it's always an adventure on this desk...). Too bad for them. They deserve a nicer Joyce. But there's no fighting nature.

As a sidebar, did I ever tell you that when I was in the 5th grade I won a contest for who could say the list of prepositions the fastest? Does it surprise you? And would it surprise you that I can still do it really fast? And sometimes actually do, when I am here, alone, with the kitties? No. I didn't think it would.

2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, July 28, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won that same contest in 6th grade and yes, the skill is still with me! Next time you are down in this next of the woods, I challenge you to a preposition race!!

 
At 12:21 AM, August 03, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A contest I have never heard about... Share with the class JJ...

My stomach is still rolling..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home