Saturday, October 01, 2005

Trouble with the heat

Okay so last night, Joe and Janet were coming by around 6:45p to get me to get some dinner pre-work and then I was going in with them to be a patron and drink some beer. At about 6:35, there is a major pounding on my door. As a general rule, I rarely answer the door to someone I don't know, because I hate solicitors and I hate people who go door to door asking for money (they do this, it happens). I looked out the peephole and it was a policeman. Yeah, probably should answer that one.

So he has this paper and asks me if some woman whose name I did not recognize lived here. I said, no only me. And he asked me if I was her (really long Mexican name) and I laughed a little and said, no, I'm not Mexicana. He said the paper he has showed she lived here and let me look at it. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was very official looking, all notary stamped and such, and I imagine it was some kind of warrant or something similar, but sure enough, there was my address. I asked him (good time to practice the old Spanish by the way, never miss an opportunity...) from when was it that she supposedly lived here and he said from today. I explained she probably had given either an old address of hers or just completely lied (thanks for that) because even the mail that comes to this apartment has not had that name on it. He then asked my name, and wrote it down (great...) and asked me what I did for a living (escritora, sure) and how long I lived there (I told him since May, since that is what my current papers say) and then I told him I would give him the name and number of my landlord if he wanted to find out if that chick ever lived here. He took it. I also told him he could check with the building manager if that helped. He was pretty nice, and understanding with my crappy Spanish, but still I was kind of concerned what with immigration issues and all that. But I talked to Kim who mentioned that probably the police wouldn't report anything to immigration, but you know, you just never know.

After they left, Joe and Janet were out front, so we went to Caliente for some dinner and then on to the club. They were done around 1:15 or so, and Janet's not been feeling up to par, so already it had been a long night for her. Chris had come down around 10pm (he bought a car, a 98 Camaro, great looking ride) and we ended up hanging out with Anto and then later Greg and a friend from the radio station, another DJ named Quick (?) (meaning, I think that was his name, but will probably never know). Anyway we stayed on and ended up going home around 4am... Of course, first Saturday of the month so I had a 9:30am IWC meeting, and Kim was picking me up at 9:15am, so I got roughly 3 1/2 hours of sleep... got home from the meeting around 1pm, took over my laundry, and now here I sit. Oddly not that tired.

The weather has been really windy and there is a bit more rain than usual, but that's fine with me, except for the staircase issue, which is more of a challenge than I am prepared for when I am walking down with 7.5 kilos of laundry and don't have a free hand. I wonder what would happen if I fell? All my chonies spread out for the world (or at least Los Picos #4) to see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home