Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I'm not big into birthdays

So... I worked Sunday night, sola, with Sergio, and we were dead dead dead. I even left early (well, 15 minutes early). I was so freaking bored and since Donatello was there I figured why not use the opportunity of having a dj to get out a little early.. Monday I did some stuff around the apartment, it was rainy in the morning, crappy, and I had brought my laundry over on Sunday (the little girl over there, Lorena, gets nervouse if I don't bring my laundry in on Sunday, not sure when that tradition started), so I went over to pick it up, wearing of course a fresh clean pair of shorts and my flip flops. They are painting my building this rust color, well, it's more of an earthy terracotta I guess, and when I hit the last step I bit it. Looking like an asshole I got up immediately, but of course the paint on the stoop, mixed with the rain, was still sort of wet, so I am hoping that comes out. Fun, though, to fall again, I missed that. I have 2 bruises on my arm and a scrape on my leg, and I am actually sort of sore now, 2 days later.

I had a hair appointment with Anto at 3, so Janet came and got me and the projector and she dropped me off, since she had to go to Over 30 and drop off a factura (how she gets paid). Di and Chuy, friends I met on the message boards a few years ago, were in from NY and staying at the Sands, so they came down and got me and we trundled into the rent a car and drove out to their property. It's off the free road to Merida, not really far, maybe 10 km, to a gravel road that they have in their contract to be improved. We drove all the way to the end, and the road wasn't finished, but their property was off in the distance and marked by a palm tree. We chatted with a neighbor about the road, and then left. It's beautiful country though, in the jungle, and they have plans to build their home and retire there in about 8 years or so. Chuy will come down first and build, then Di will follow. Chuy is originally from Cancun, it's where they met (a great story in its own right).

From there we went to Jim's ranchito. Jim is a gringo who has lived in Cancun for something like 15 years and owns property just a bit closer in than Di's. He has his (awesome) house on it, a house for his ranch hand, and then he has like 6 horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, pigs, goats... it's a pretty cool place. He is in Italy right now but invited Di to take a look around, so the hand showed us everything. We spent maybe an hour there, very cool place. Got home and they dropped me off with plans to meet around 9:30 at Over 30 for Greg's show (Di and Chuy are friends with Greg from way back).

I got to the club around 9 to chit chat with Janet and stake out my table, and Di and Chuy showed, and then a friend of Chuy's with his girlfriend. The place filled up, and before Greg's show, of course, Joe had to announce that it was my birthday the next day and help him sing... so they did (yay, I just love that..) and brought me a phenomenal pastel de tres leches, cappucino flavor. It was an awesome cake. They gave me a shot (cucaracha, on fire), and we just chatted and watched the show. It was clear that it was my birthday, so a couple people wished me a happy one, which is nice. I just don't like being the center of attention, not big into birthdays, but it was nice.

Got home around I don't know, 2? I just don't look at my watch much. Tuesday (THE day - bleh), Nancy, Janet and I made plans to have some lunch, and I chose Emara in Mercado 28, a yucateco restaurant. I ran some errands with Nancy and then we had lunch at 3 (it opens late). Janet bought me a fabulous aromatherapy thingie, hard to describe, it's a cloth bag with all kinds of herbs and barley that you heat in the microwave and then like put on your shoulders (which I was needing due to the fall) or whatever hurts - they rock. Nancy gave me a lotion/powder/candle set in a cute bag, jasmine lime, awesome smelling. We had papadzules (my favorite!), salbutes, tamales, and the gut rocket queso relleno. A very nice lunch indeed.

Went to work sola (Joe and Janet had a birthday party to go to for Greg at the Over 30 centro), and again, not so busy. The boys blew up the inflatable cake, and Rafa gave me a present! He got me a red leather wallet, very cute, and I was sincerely and absolutely floored. God I love that kid. Then they all wanted to sing me a song each, which they did, including the other Rafa (new waiter with the piercing, I may have mentioned him), who never ever sings, but now that he has the bug, he is all over it. Even EVER sang solo! I noticed Adrian had made himself scarce but I will never expect to hear him try it out.

We had two tables going and a woman with an incredible voice singing "Blue Bayou" when suddenly the lights went out. Transformer blew across the street. I powered everything down and helped her off the stage and then we just sort of hung out waiting for CFE. The two tables left but oddly enough, about 3 tables came in (pitch dark?). Turns out one was from Portland, so that was fun. Anyway, the lights came on about an hour later, the band started, and played their first set, and I ended up playing karaoke until 1:05 or so. After that I waited for the boys and we taxi'd home together, $30 MN, you gotta love that. I got home around 2:30 and am exhausted while I write this, and it's long, but hey man nobody is putting a gun to your head to read it (well, not literally anyway).

All in all it was a good 40th. Lots of emails from my friends and good company and I am only stiff because I fell, not because I am 40 now. What the hell, age means nothing. Thanks to all who wished me a happy day, because your wishes came true!

5 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday Joyce! Sounds like a low-key nice day. Sorry about the fall - been there done that and it ain't fun!

 
At 2:30 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fell!!! Yaya! Me too and I have the bruises to show it. Sounds like you had an awesome last two days and I am sure glad for that. Remember we are to do lunch or dinner or movies on me for your cumpleanos okidoki joyceeloca!

 
At 3:14 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger JJ said...

"Anonymous": is that you, Becky?

 
At 3:35 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes thats her. Beckla even forgot her Becklish for "Becky".

 
At 3:37 PM, September 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I was being anonymous until lizard blew my cover.
Actually, i just forgot my name!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home