Friday, September 02, 2005

Lesson learned

Okay, Becky.

So what's been going on? My life is so jam-packed with activity that it's hard to keep it straight. Tairo is back from his stint on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, he phoned and the guy that works the Thomas More travel desk at VCI is having a barbecue Saturday evening for him, he asked me to go. I really want to, but of course it coincides with Nancy's 50th birthday party. I am thinking of houdini'ing and meeting up with Tairo, but don't tell her that. I am really good at disappearing. Sure I'll catch shit from her, but maybe it will be worth it. If you know what I mean. >wink wink nudge nudge< Anyway both should be fun (Nancy = beach, good tequila, bunch of old married couples; Tairo = back yard, beer, bunch of Mexican strangers. Anonimity can be fun.).

Janet and I went to the Sunset yesterday, it rained through half of it and so we opted out of any kind of sunscreen (hi, I'm new...). Consequently, Qtip Girl ended up looking like Tomato Girl last night at work. I am not sure how my face is not green with the amount of aloe vera gel I put on it before work, but because of the heat from my face I was POURING sweat, just so attractive, to the point where when Jorge (lead singer of Jatcha band) came over to say hi he commented on how warm I must be. Seriously, it was like a slick. Just disgusting.

So I was sola last night of course, Janet and Joe had a "date night" and they dropped me off (um, I started their date with them? How nice for them), and for the first time in my working sola Thursdays, I planned to finally taxi home. Earlier in the day I saw the posted rate for a taxi to centro from there: $100MN. Fuckin A. I have taxied home from there like 4 times (but not when working) and each time the bastards charged me $150. As much as I tried to convince them it shouldn't be that, there I was in the end shelling out $150. Enriched with my new-found information, I decided I would not be overcharged. So I was bitching to Ever about it during my break, and he told me it shouldn't be more than $80... I told him I'm white, I'll pay the $100, but he said he would walk out with me to the stand and demand I pay $80 - 100.

Here's where the lesson comes in. After I packed up all my equipment, I sat down to a) dry off and b) have a beer. We weren't overly crowded, and when I wasn't looking, Ever gave me another beer, and then ultimately another. It was like 1:30, and we were all chit chatting, and the customers left, and I got ready to face my challenge, when Sergio said, look, Ever, Rafa and I always split a cab to centro for $20 each, then we split up in centro and take another to our homes. It's cheaper that way. So why don't you stay another 15 minutes (have another beer) (okay!) and go with us. I agreed. A taxista came in to shoot the shit apparently, and Sergio told him about my past gouging. The taxista explained that since I am all looking like a tourist, sure they are going to take advantage. He told Sergio to tell me that next time someone tries to over charge me from the club to decline the ride, write down the number of the taxi and give it to Sergio so that that taxista can't park at that stand. Okay, thanks.

Ultimately, we all got out of the club and took the taxi to centro. The guys all needed something at Oxxo (love the Oxxo) so the taxista took us all the way to my apartment. I ended up paying $40 for what I have paid $150 in the past. MFCS. But I am pleased because now I know the scam. I am all over it. Even if I didn't split the fare with the boys, I can still get $80 from the street outside the club (not the stand) and $15 from centro to my house. I am almost excited for Sunday to come. Almost.

See how exciting it is?

I can't believe what time it is and I haven't done a dang thing. Eder called last night to pre-arrange coming over tonight (I am in a state of shock) so I have to clean up this place and also run to Janet's to drop off the projector. Then I can probably nap from 8 to 10 or something because he isn't coming over til 10:30... I still can't get used to that. Tomorrow morning, 9:30 IWC meeting. The good times just keep on coming...

1 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Joyce! I was going through withdrawl!

I can relate to the slick - hope your sunburn fades fast!

Becky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home