Saturday, November 06, 2010

Not on Saturday

I have a lot of friends from pretty much everywhere. Moving to different states and countries (okay, one different country) affords me that. It's a good thing, having a lot of friends. Most of them are the kind of friends where, if you haven't talked in a long time, when you DO talk, it's like no time has passed and nobody's feelings are hurt for the distance that has come between.

That being said, I'd like to just say something.

Please don't call me on Saturday. If you're local, you might know what my schedule is, but if you're not, and so many of you are not, you probably don't know. Saturday is football day for me. Generally I am running around trying to get shit done prior to kick off. I've been fairly lucky of late that many of the games have been later in the day, but there is still that occasional 12:30 kick off, like today, and I have a ton to do before I can settle in for the afternoon.

It's not that I don't want to talk to you, it's just that I'm not going to be focused. And I'll be nervous that I won't be able to get you off the phone in enough time to tune in. My interest in your interests is a six-days-a-week gig; on Saturday, I just don't care. Calling in the middle of the game is even worse - I get pissed (not your fault, I know, but still), distracted and irritable when I should be paying attention and focusing all energy to my team.

Thanks to the magic of social media, most of you pretty much know what is going on in my world (nothing. Seriously. Nothing.), and nothing beats a good phone call to catch up. But not on Saturday. And don't take my launching you in to voicemail as a sign that I never want to speak to you again. I do. Any other day of the week.

That being said, Go Ducks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home