Saturday, October 30, 2010

Game day

Dear Ducks:

Well, it's game day. Though I've been a bit distracted this past week and feeling a bit nauseous periodically, I have come to some conclusions that I thought you should know about.

Today is a huge game, gigantic for us Duck fans. For you, I'm guessing, it's just another game day. Your coach is fantastic, and there is no doubt he has employed many strategies to bring you all around mentally and face such a formidable opponent. I survive merely by believing this. And this Saturday morning I'm somewhat at peace.

Because you are the Ducks, my team. A team I have watched faithfully not only for my entire life, but for this season up to now. I know what you can do, I know what you struggle with, I know what you excel at. I know the entire country will be watching, and I know that this is a team that doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Football is a contest between two opponents, sometimes well matched, sometimes not. Today you face a very talented opponent, and, as in all contests, the best team will win. I have every faith, as I have for years, that you will be that best team. I may hide behind a Pendleton throw through most of the first half, I will probably vomit a little bit, my hands will shake and I won't be able to sit still. There will be much cursing and yelling and jumping and pacing. But that's what I do.

You know what you do. Do your best for your team, your coach, your fans. Nothing more can be asked of you. No matter what, no worse for wear, I'll be here, on the other side, as I've been for forty-five years.

Today I go forth to run my errands, buy new tires, fulfill my obligations, all with the knowledge that my team plays fantastic football and will make me proud. I will fiercely defend my colors, I will give the ojo negro to anyone who smirks or doubts, I will defend confidently.

So yes, perhaps it is just another game day.

Go Ducks!

Faithfully,
TtheD

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, October 30, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They heard your prayer... we won all around in sports today! "Twas a good day for Oregon sports!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home