Monday, August 03, 2009

Recovery

Ahhh the possibilities of Saturday...

I ran a couple of errands Saturday morning, but really didn't accomplish much. The beauty of Saturday is that if you miss the entrance to one Home Depot and then completely bypass the other Home Depot, where you need to see if you can buy a longer screw for that stupid new vacuum cleaner that came with too short a screw, and it's been sitting in your living room for two weeks now, not completely assembled due to the stupid too-short screw, you can always go on Sunday. Maybe get an earlier start than everyone else, AND you can go to the mall like you had planned Saturday but by the time you had gotten out, the crowds were too much and you just weren't in to it. Sunday. A whole additional day to do stuff and be productive.

Or, you know, not.

Saturday night Jeri and I planned to meet for a drink or two at the Lake House in Lake Oswego. Seems harmless enough, right? Jeri doesn't drink that much, and me, I'm in a sort of semi-recovery situation, brought on by the desire to actually have productive weekends. So yeah, who would have thought that the Lake House would have Mint Juleps on the menu? God knows I love my bourbon. It was warm and breezy and just one of those neato evenings in the summer, on the water, and people were paying WAY too much attention to us. That's kind of our gig, Jeri's and mine. I think our friendship has always been based on performing... anyway, we tend to be fueled by an audience, and we pretty much got one. Truth be told, we left after a reasonable period of time, both only three drinks in (but she has a two-drink limit apparently so she had me drive the convertible Mercedes back to her house. That was very fun.), and I can honestly say that the GOOD news is all the damage was done in a safe environment with no cause for anyone to drive. Nobody gets hurt. In theory.

We had a great time. Jeri has a very well-stocked bar, I might add. Somehow we grew YOUNGER as the night progressed. It was fun, and I like fun, and I think sometimes you just have to stop being an adult for a while and be a teenager with your best-friend-from-high-school and hope like hell that it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Consequently, I woke up on the sofa and went home around 6:30am. From her sofa to my sofa, where I spent the entire day. Still processing all that had been consumed the night before. Sleeping most of the time. Downing water like crazy and hoping I could keep it down. Not showering. THAT part of drunken mayhem I do not like. But it was a good reminder of why I am generally more in control..

Good weekend, though limited. And I always enjoy spending time with that Jeri. I think I am somewhat grateful, though, that those times are not a weekly occurrence, because frankly I don't think my body could survive it.

2 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, August 03, 2009, Blogger Jeri said...

So funny. I am giggling as I write this. Oh. My. God.. Let's hope your late night phone calls...damn drunk dialing...don't come back to haunt you. yes I say you, since, after all, I don't think I did the dialing...Wait, no that's not right, I dialed--you talked... FUNNY!!!

Sunday was shot for me too! I accomplished nothing at all! Ash & Austin had to fend for themselves....

I love you Joyce, but honestly..Once a month or less is just the perfect time to get together. That is, of course, unless we meet for lunch or meet up at the mall AND avoid happy hour..

I felt, and acted, like a stupid, silly teenager and I am not ashamed to say I liked it a lot!!

xoxo

 
At 1:15 PM, August 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, being the mother of Jeri, must say that Saturday night was so much fun. Aunt Bette and I so enjoyed seeing the both of you cut loose and become teenagers again! My only real regret is I did not video the evening! I think the singing alone would have been great on YOUTUBE!! No, I would not have posted it, but it would have been fun to re-watch.

Anytime the two of you want to go out again, we will come and amuse A & A, and do it all over again. Here we thought we would be back in our own homes at 10 PM, and were somewhat surprised that it was actually 2 AM!!!! How much fun was that!! My dog has finally forgiven me for leaving her alone for more than 5 hours :-)

I love my daughter and Joyce, I love you too!!!! I love that the two of you are friends and I do not apologize for the "beer" incident so many years ago that I totally do not remember!!!!

Silly, stupid teenagers? I think not! As Erma Bombeck said, "live each day as though it were your last, and never, ever look back"

Love to you both....
xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home