Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A little blue

So I just got home from work about an hour ago. Granted I had a hair (cut only) appointment in the middle of leaving the office and actually getting home, but nevertheless I was working and with a client up until the time it took me to drive from Cedar Hills to Murrayhill(ish). And I'm a little blue.

I needed a signature on a deed from the ex-husband to the ex-wife so we can close on the sale of their house tomorrow. She has spent the last two days, and tomorrow, cleaning out the house. It's her house - she won it in the divorce, so really it's her responsibility. But while we stood around and waited for the ex-husband to show up, we talked about how excited the buyers are to move in, about how her kids marked up a wall in their bedroom, little things like that. She told me that she had been an emotional wreck from the time she left my office this morning at 10 til the time I showed up, around 7. She didn't regret the divorce, but she was still sad packing up ten years of memories in her little house.

The ex showed up, and of course he was a somewhat good-looking guy. After ten years of marriage, and two kids, despite a little bit of grey around the temples, he looked great. She, on the other hand, well, maybe not so much. I mean she didn't look BAD, but I'm sure she wasn't in the same body she started out with ten years ago. It got me thinking, as I left, how it seems like guys always come out smelling like a rose, but the women always seem to look like they still have every bad situation hanging on them. Covered up by a baggy sweatshirt and jeans that might could have gone up a size. I don't know why they are divorced, I don't know their story at all. And I don't know why it made me so sad. I felt like maybe I knew their story, but it probably isn't what I'm thinking. And I'll never know. But I am betting it will take a while for me to forget the image of her crying over memories of the good times while she cleaned out the closets and went through old pictures. I guess I should just be happy for the couple moving in, but I don't know, maybe I'm just too cynical for that.

On another note, it seems that not only is everyONE out to get me, everyTHING might be out to get me, too. Whitney's printer took a dump on me today, and we don't have a bunch of IT people running around the KOIN like we used to, so I had to go log on to another station to print anything, and of course, that station's default printer ended up being the label maker, so imagine what 25 pages of escrow instructions looks like on little labels and you can see my frustration. Not to mention having to wait longer for courtwork, having the escrow system throw me out no less than eight times, and having Outlook freeze up and immediately boot me off the internet and consequently Whitney's webmail. That happened about three times, but logging back in to her webmail sucks - her password is ridiculous.

So I'm cutting my losses and I'll start over tomorrow. I really hope for everyone that tomorrow is a better day.

3 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, October 22, 2008, Blogger CancunCanuck said...

Oh man, you witnessed the end of an era, the end of a life as a family, would make me blue too.

Here's hoping today is not blue, maybe some other colour like pink or purple, yeah purple, I wish you a purple velvet kind of day madame. Take care girly!

 
At 8:47 PM, October 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted too but couldn't...

have a better day

 
At 3:18 PM, October 23, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope things have gotten better! If it makes you feel better I'm still high from my reading...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home