Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A disturbing drop-off in readership

I'm not sure if my feelings should be hurt, or if I should be happy that you guys all have something better to do... but readership is at an all-time low. I think it's time I looked within and realized that I haven't had much to offer lately. But I think it's important to note that I now live in Beaverton, and frankly, IT doesn't have much to offer ME. So it can't be my fault.

Not that living in Mexico those last 3 months was much more riveting. I mean, honestly, the most exciting posts involved enormous, potentially man-eating bugs, and the rest was just the drivel of a girl driven mad by the circuitous, never-seeming-to-end loop from the Solymar to the Costco to the Mega Commercial Mexicana to the bar and back to the Solymar. Clearly it didn't do much good, when you consider that I wanted to get back to normal SO DESPERATELY that I chose this apartment. Such a fool.

It's not a BAD place, I mean, it's clean and somewhat new and it's secure (so far) and all that. But I've lived here before, and I was 10 years younger, and it feels like this place is crawling with much younger people. Truthfully, everyone I have actually seen has been much older than me, in this building anyway. But still, it feels like I have taken a gigantic step backward. Back to the days when I, too, used to hang out at places in Tanasbourne. To get anywhere from here, beyond the K-Mart or St. Mary of the Valley, takes an additional 20 minutes just to get to the other side of Murray Blvd. That drives me insane. The freeway is FAR, and forget about Washington Square. Far.

So Melissa, a gal I have been working with the last couple of days, suggested I find out what OTHER properties this management company has around the area, so I looked. Nothing. Except something in Tigard, which I will not do, and then Gresham, which is just plain crazy-talk. Strike out. The sad thing is, it's been a week today, and I signed a 12-month lease.

So I will stick it out, because I should, and in the meantime will think of options. I am a problem solver so there has to be SOMEthing. Or maybe I will just get rid of all those boxes and bins that are sitting right there in the corner and deal with it for now. Maybe I'll just quit complaining.

Hmm. Maybe that's why no one seems to be reading lately...

8 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, August 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far be it from me to offer an opinion or advice on practically any subject, but I do know from experience that where I live generally has nothing to do with the real issue, which is how I feel about myself at the time. I fully understand the inertia in tackling big overwhelming projects, like unpacking a whole apartment, but I think if you bite off a little each day, you will feel better about your home. I also think if you MAKE it a home and not just a place to store your stuff, you will feel better. I think that no matter where 90% of the people in Portland live, there is going to be massive traffic. It's just a fact. You were excited about your new apartment when you reserved it, so don't worry about the ages of people around you. You made the right decision when you went to Mexico in 2004 and you made the right decision when you went in 2007. You have not taken any steps backward. You made some exciting moves and took care of each issue. You will do the same now.
If this sounds like a lecture, it's not meant to be but, from my perspective (12 years older) you are still young with lots of good times ahead!

Barbie

 
At 12:32 PM, August 01, 2007, Blogger My Way said...

OK I won't be as insightful as Barbie but I will say that there's nothing wrong with complaining and bitching. You just have to make it funny. That's all.

 
At 3:23 PM, August 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can find somebody to take over your lease on Craigs List, that's what some friends of mine did when they didn't wind up liking the place they just leased...worth a shot if you really don't want to live in Beaverton...which honestly I couldn't figure out WHY you would want to live there in the first place...except just to GET a place... Plus with the traffic you'll never come visit me...:) I did read that you've been going out a lot on weeknights though, so that sounds like you're having some fun. Invite me sometime!

 
At 10:14 PM, August 01, 2007, Blogger FJ Cruiser off road adventure said...

ok... your meaningless babel about how you are uninspired by the surrounding you wedged yourself into is making me feel so much better about myself... sure I'm compensating by driving to the manly destination of the arctic circle in a rig that is now pissing testosterone on all the other cars in the mall... and mid-life crisis maybe written all over the expedition... but I'm not sitting on my ass bitching... thanks, glad I could add to your readership today :-)

 
At 4:52 AM, August 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I still read your blog religously!

Maybe you should add some pictures?

hugs,
janie

 
At 6:32 AM, August 02, 2007, Blogger JJ said...

(Jeez Paul when did you get so articulate? Not that I didn't NEED that little chuckle this morning...)

Thanks for all the comments, kiddies. Barbie is right (and so is Paul, though it kills me to say it), and Kim S, that's a marvelous idea, thank you. But Lizard is also right, because in PERSON I don't think I bitch and complain THAT much so this is a good outlet. Plus for some reason, readership skyrocketed on this post.

 
At 6:32 AM, August 02, 2007, Blogger JJ said...

Oh! And Janie, I KNOW! I just have to TAKE some!

 
At 9:58 AM, August 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyce - I still read your blog every entry. I was thinking of you yesterday while relaxing in the sunshine by the pool and it made me think of this...
Suntan Lotion: $12
Beach towel from Costco: $20
Polarized sunglasses: $35
Swimsuit: $40
Listening to a child screaming in the pool for 2 hours while trying to relax, and finally having enough of it, so you hold them under the water not long enough to do any PERMANENT damage, but just to choke them out so they'll shut the hell up: Priceless

 

Post a Comment

<< Home