Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Here we go again

Over the years I used to tell people, "I hate change, that's why I make myself go through it so much." So I am changing again. Leaving Cancun, for good this time. Going back to Portland. Not a huge change, but big enough. You see, I sold my car, I got rid of my apartment, I stored my furniture (thank God for that). I quit my job, and now, in a struggling market, I want to go back to it again. Never say never, right? But I think this time around, I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to go to Cancun. But I did it, because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life wondering what if.

I am not a hotel zone person, this is for certain. And I came to understand that I am just not a Cancun person, either. I mean, I like it. I'll come back to vacation again. But I just don't need to live here. The enormous bugs (thank God I haven't had too many horrid issues here in the apartment), the booming (and I mean BOOMING) hip hop music as you pass by Slices at 10am, 1pm, 5pm, 12am, 3am... it never ends. Can you imagine working in that place? Holy mother. The fact that my Spanish is for shit and you just NEED it, you JUST NEED it. The lack of stupid normal stuff like consistant internet, normal TV, Target, sane driving, normal rules and regulations in the business world... the list goes on and on.

So the job evolved and did all manner of twists and turns and frankly, I just wasn't that good at it. I thought I was getting good reception and I was making all kinds of contacts, but it did nothing, it brought nothing into the club, I felt useless and pretty soon I felt like a third shoe, something completely useless. I know what I am good at. I learned what I want. I learned who I am and who I am not. I don't know what drives people to stay here, but whatever it is, I don't have it. So I am leaving and going back.

Many new challenges lay ahead, but I think it's for the best. I have to get back to the business of living, I guess, but this time as a grown up. I hope all of you understand, but my way of thinking is that you have to do what you think is best for yourself, even if it involves risking everything for the unknown and then hoping you can get it all back.

No one will ever say I didn't do anything a little bit nuts in this life, that's for sure.

10 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, June 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OUT - You did the right thing by going back and trying it OUT, and it sure seemed like you did your best to tough it OUT. You got it OUT of your system, and you will likely apreciate Portland and your opportunities ahead a lot more. This is coming from someone that lived in Cancun for over a year and had a much more advantageous work situation than yourself. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

 
At 12:34 AM, June 22, 2007, Blogger ARrrrrr said...

I hope you still keep everyone updated with your adventures! Good luck.

 
At 11:41 AM, June 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!! What?? OK you will be needing to send me an email asap filling in what details you can't put in your blog. I miss you and I am glad you went and did what you needed to do and you are coming back. You will be able to put things back together, no worries! Your furniture is fine and it is waiting for you! WRITE ME!

 
At 2:15 PM, June 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

W-T-H? You totally blindsided me with this litle twist!

Portland needs Joycie - so get on back here!

Let's have lunch (or drinks) when you are settled.

Hogs and quiches!

 
At 1:01 PM, June 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you no matter where you live!

janie and norb

 
At 4:01 PM, June 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyce - I think you are under valuing your contribution to My Place. It has some serious problems which no outsider, no employee, can come in and fix. The problems are systemic, they start with the poor choice of name and go from there. I truly hope that you don't feel like YOU failed because your efforts couldn't right the wrongs there. You were brave to take on such a task. I wish you would stay and take other work.

 
At 4:30 PM, June 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you moving back? Are you still moving back? All our inquiring minds want to know...

I agree with last comment too, although I hope you don't really feel responsible for lack of success at the club... It sounds like it's more than that and you're just ready not to live in Cancun. Like I love PV, but only to visit...

 
At 1:51 PM, June 27, 2007, Blogger My Way said...

Yeah man you've kind of left us all hanging with whats going on whichyou? Speak woman speak!

 
At 9:40 AM, June 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, WTF, no updates? Does anybody know when Joyce is moving back, Barbie, Sheila, Mom??

 
At 1:43 PM, June 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that Joyce is already back in the US. But I don't know the specifics. Try giving her a ring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home