Sunday, May 14, 2006

Something a little different - Flashbacks

So I was asked today if I have anything else, maybe pre-blog but mid-Cancun, and I do. So at her sort-of kind-of request I am going to post some bits from when I was just doing a diary of sorts. It lasted about a month but it begins when I moved into Los Picos. And sort of ends when I started getting a little bit more of a life. So enjoy (or move along, whichever). This is for you, Janie!

December 4, 2004
5:03pm

I had sushi today at the Sushi Ken in Plaza Las Palmas. It is right around the corner and pretty good, plus they deliver. For under $10 I got way more than I could eat, even if I wasn’t walking around all day with a pit in my stomach. I barely ate any but it’s in my refrigerator now, waiting for me to, what, have dinner? Maybe later. I pulled the tv down from the spare bedroom, the little tv, it’s fine, and there are some English speaking channels, but remember as everyone says, learn Spanish by watching Simplemente Maria…

After Eder and his uncle dropped me off around 1pm, and Eder watched me unpack and played with my computer some, Laura and I went to the Costco and the Walmart (had the sushi in between). I spent a bunch of money and still don’t have anywhere to put my underwear. Forgot about that. Seriously, a person needs drawers. It gets warm and sweaty in here if I do anything more than sit here or find shows on the tv, but knowing me and my fear of the dark I should go make my bed and put the towels out. I think I have to go to the bathroom but we are out of water (a thing Laura says is very rare but has been an issue since last Wednesday) and I am not sure I believe her when she says pouring water in the bowl will make it go down. I am on Lomotil though, so maybe I just THINK I have to go. I guess I will find out soon enough. I’m going to make that bed now.
5:12pm

5:36pm

Okay I just made the bed and put the towels out, washed my face with the trickle of water that managed to come out of the bathroom faucet and poured myself some Fanta. It’s full dark in Cancun Centro now. I live on a busy road. There is something over by the front door, it’s a smudge or maybe it’s a spider, I am not sure and don’t think I want to know right now, tomorrow I will spray the apartment with the Raid Martha left in the cupboard before we go to the beach. Laura had text messaged me earlier telling me to text her if I got freaked out or anything, and that we (Laura, Elizabeth and myself) would go either to the beach in Cancun or to Playa del Carmen tomorrow. It’s nice having Laura around (right across the hall), she is currently not working, so we will see how things continue. I am hoping she doesn’t get sick of driving me around, although she is the one offering.

Last night was Mark and Rhonda’s last night, and Joan and Roy’s anniversary. We went to Plaza Caracol (and to the AA ticket counter for Mark and Rhonda to pre-board, nice but what a pain in the ass, after three years of Joan telling us to do it Rhonda finally broke down but she won’t do it again). Mark got sick and went back to the villa, Rhonda and I went on to Lorito Joe’s for dinner with the Lundes and with Linda and Bob and Bob’s friend Steve who had just flown in. After (and I was sick with this diarrhea and not feeling tip top myself), Bob, Linda, Steve and Rhonda went down to La Palapa for one more final final, and I went up to find Mark, quite ill still, and wearing socks, not a good sign. I went down myself but again did not drink. It was somewhat fun, for the 15 minutes I was there. Luis (the head waiter from so long ago) gave me his telephone number (as had Angel earlier in the day, but I talk to Angel throughout the year, via his sons), in case I needed anything. How nice is that? It really makes me feel like I have made some kind of an impact, I mean, perhaps I am a nice enough person. Down at the front desk checking out this morning, that Tairo said there might be a party in a couple weeks, took down my number and told me he would call to see if I wanted to go. There are people that I know I will not talk to until February, and then again… I feel like I can probably sneak in once in a while to use the pool, but I am thinking more along the lines of sneaking into the Sands would be easier. This is considering I ever get the nads to ride the bus. But enough rambling.

So tomorrow is the beach, good, then Monday I told that Joan and Linda I would come by or call, maybe I will lay out with them for a little while, but we’ll see, Laura is also welcomed, per Joan, although the two of them don’t really mix well. Joan is busy, I am quite sure, telling everyone right now how much I am not going to make it, but I guess the question there is, what exactly am I trying to make? She is super critical and it hurts my feelings but oh well. So maybe I don’t “make it”. Would that make her happy? Is she looking forward to me failing (and failing at not having a job on purpose and pursuing a tan is about all I would be failing at)? Is she hoping for that? Maybe she’ll get her wish. Right now I just hope I can go to the bathroom and not have it sit there in the bowl all night.
5:54pm

2 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Joyceeeee!

You are such a talented writer, and I'm enjoying your blog very much.

love ya!
janie

 
At 8:01 AM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel special. My name was in your blog. Why is you write "Elizabeth" versus "Liz"? Most are too lazy to write the whole Elizabeth out. So thanks then. Um the other thing I wanted to say is that Sushi Ken sucks now. Change of owners or cook or something. Sushi Akky is where it's at!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home