Monday, December 26, 2005

Party party

So this is going to be one of those entries that could be called a rant. Let me just predisclose that I am not trying to offend anyone or put anyone off. If this sounds like I am talking about YOU, then you might be just a little bit oversensitive. So get over it already.

Here we go.

I guess I just don't get people who have a party, an organized PARTY, not just a "get together" or even a "family gathering", but a PARTY, and ask people to bring snacks. I've thrown many a party in my day and I just don't remember asking people to bring the food. Sure, there have been occasions where a smaller gathering came together in sort of an impromptu manner and have been asked to bring something. But an organized, thought-of-and-planned-in-advance party? I don't get it.

Parties we have thrown in the past, genuine parties, have always included chips, dips, a sweet or two, perhaps some sandwiches or wings, whatever, and then beer and soda. If you wanted hard liquor you brought your own. Often people volunteered to bring something - but we never asked them for it. But you had the choice of coming for free if you were okay with drinking just beer. These were planned out, with invitations of a sort, because we were in a position to throw a party and wanted our friends to come over and enjoy themselves.

The last three parties I have been to this holiday season alone I have had to bring something. One was even our holiday IWC event. I guess perhaps I am being petty, because how much is a bag of chips, really, but right now it irritates me that someone would plan a party in advance, invite you like a month ago, and then at the last minute say, oh yeah, could you bring some munchies? What, you suddenly decided you didn't want to take responsibility for feeding the people at the party you invited them to? If I wanted to sit around and eat a bag of chips I would just go to the Oxxo and buy one. At least then I wouldn't have to take a freaking shower.

4 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, December 27, 2005, Blogger Laurel Rubia said...

If they want you to bring food they should call it a potluck from the beginning. I like potlucks, when I know in advance that that's what they are.

 
At 11:27 PM, December 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did they charge for keg cups like we did in high school...er, I mean, when we turned 21?

rebecca

 
At 6:13 AM, December 31, 2005, Blogger JJ said...

HAHAHAHA - I SO wanted to say that I almost EXPECTED them to!

 
At 5:48 PM, December 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't that what I was bitching about at the party? What I hate is when I have a party and have everything and you say you are coming and you dont and then I have to eat all the crap I bought and prepared for the party poopers! At least you should have mixers....but I told everyone that too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home