Saturday, December 31, 2005

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

Well, it's the last day of 2005, and what have we learned? As for me, I have learned

- If you see something that you need at the supermarket, buy it now. Buy several. You may never see it there again.

- Don't spring for the cheap metal showerhead. It will corode inside two months and make showering a lesson in contortionism. Buy the big one with several settings that is made primarily of plastic - as the water ultimately plugs up the little wholes, adjusting the settings makes for a more effective shower, and you will end up not having to replace it even after about 10 months.

- Take every opportunity to get out of town, even if it involves being turned away at the border of an English speaking country that is not your own and circling a capitol city for 3 hours. Life can be an adventure if you want it to be.

- Get a dustpan with a long handle. It's better to keep your distance when sweeping up a carcass.

- Have a little compassion toward your downstairs neighbor. Between your floor and their ceiling may be a big slab of concrete, but they can still hear every little thing that falls on your floor.

- Always make sure you have plenty of water jugs stored away just in case your water runs out.

- The only way to get rid of those teeny tiny ants is with that powder. Nothing else works.

- Everyone has a backstory and an agenda. Trust your instincts.

- To every problem, there is a solution.

- If you have a history of ear infection, and have tiny holes in your eardrums, do whatever you can to keep water out of them. Not being able to hear out of one ear sucks and makes for a very interesting night's sleep.

- Know that you can never go home again. Use that as an opportunity.

- Live life like you are telling a story.

- Predisclose predisclose predisclose!

- Smiling will get you just about anywhere. So will taxis. Smiling at taxistas just makes it easier.

- Don't go anywhere - the bank, the supermarket, the mall - on a Sunday or quincena.

- Be a good friend, but avoid being a stand-in therapist.

- Wear appropriate footwear.

- If you ever get the opportunity, take a year-and-change off from your life and do something you always wanted to do. It is so worth it. Then spend a month convincing yourself that you are ready to go back to the world you left behind. Nothing is forever, and nothing is free.

Oh how deep and inspirational!

What have I been doing this week? Not a lot since the last post. Thursday night I went to go see the Ducks play. There may have been about 15 people at Caliente but I am sure by the end they all heard me and knew what team I was pulling for. Let's just pretend that the third quarter never happened, okay? My boys lost, but this is not something that gets me down, I have been a Duck fan since I shot out of the womb, and I am used to losing. It doesn't hurt that I am also a Browns fan. I am not the type to gloat when my team is doing well, as I am aware that there is always "next season". I just enjoy the game of football, and winning puts an extra little spring in my step. That's it. 10-2, still a better season than most.

Friday Elizabeth came over and we went to see "Joya de la Familia" (aka "The Family Stone") - do NOT, I repeat, and with greater emphasis, DO NOT go see this movie. It sucked so bad. I kept seeing Sarah Jessica Parker with a chihuahua's body like in "Mars Attacks!" because that is what she reminded me of, all shaky and jerky and annoying (granted, she was supposed to be, but that didn't make it any less annoying). Diane Keaton over acted to the point where I thought she was drunk through the entire movie, the story line was confusing, I never got attached to the characters, and I for one cannot stand the way Hollywood portrays large(r) families. It just isn't like that, unless you're Mormon. It's irritating but I am used to it (thanks to "Eight is Enough"). It was just a stupid, stupid movie and the Coca Lite was flat.

Afterward we got sushi, and it rained some, and then we came over here and sat and talked for a few hours. I was surprised to see it was almost 9 when she left. I begged off on the party as my harvey was raging, and I just didn't feel festive.

Tonight I will do nothing (amateur night, no matter where you are) and tomorrow morning Kim, Arturo and I will be driving to Merida for two nights. I am really excited. I haven't been in years and I love that city. I will be sure to report back on Wednesday.

Happy New Year to everyone reading this ~ 2006 is sure to bring many changes and surprises, and learning moments, to us all!

1 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, December 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Happy New Year to you too! Was a nice day despite the shit dumb movie. I think I made a couple of funny comments....oh right I'm going to hell. I too am taking it easy tonight. As we discussed...expectations, another day blah blah. Anyways. Love ya sistah. I'm gonna go stare at the corner now and see if I can see anything Moco sees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home