Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Fun on the avenida

So this morning Janet called and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the pool, I said "yes" because I am so white and Joe came and got me and off we went. Laid out for a little bit, it's hotter than anything outside, and then Joe was going to get Raul so he told me he would drop me off. Joe, Joey, Paul, Raul and Andy were going to the bullfight today at 3:30 but needed to be there a little after 3 so that Paul might get to play soccer beforehand (it's a thing they do, play soccer with a younger bull before the actual fight).

Joe and I set off to get Raul and were driving down Palenque toward La Costa, we pass Avenida Xcaret and a taxista on our right is trying to turn left (but we were going straight) - so it became a matter of principle. Joe wouldn't let him in and he wouldn't let Joe not let him in so next thing you know we are getting swiped. Joe throws the car into park on the spot, and gets out asking him what the fuck he thought he was doing. I sat in the car like a good little white girl and watched. The taxista took the left turn and waited at the light and Joe approached him, the taxista motioning that he was gonna pull over on the other side. I don't think Joe believed him though as he just kept on walking after him (I think the taxista would have driven off if Joe hadn't followed him).

Meanwhile, back in the car, I am facing the straight way direction on Palenque in the middle of the intersection of Xcaret, with about 5 lanes of traffic (some buses mind you) coming right at me. When you get in a wreck here you don't move the car or it's like admitting fault.

Back on the side of the road Joe and the taxista are having major words (you can tell what with the flying of the hands and how whenever the taxista would try to get back in the car, Joe would PULL him back out). I swear I thought they were gonna come to blows. Joe is making hand signals to me that I cannot interpret because a) he is far away and b) I have only known him for about 6 months so how am I supposed to know this stuff? I guess he wanted the phone.

So I called Raul and Joe came back to the van just as a transito cop came up, I am frantically pointing to the gringo. Handed the phone to Joe and Joe told Raul to cab over to us, which he did.

A bunch of transito guys came and a tow truck and blah blah and I ended up walking home (it's not far). Never seen Joe so animatedly pissed before. It was kinda cool in a frightening way...
Needless to say Joe and Raul didn't make it to the bull fights - Andy came and picked the boys up so we'll know later how that worked out.

That's my story for the day. Kinda tan but not really. More than this morning let's say. Working sola tonight for the first time, that should be a pisser.

Ciao for now!

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, July 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I um.....don't have anything particular to say about this particular blog. But I wanted to say that your blogs are rather entertaining to me and fun! Just like lizards outside VCI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home