Saturday, July 16, 2005

Waiting and wondering
















Well it's a Category 5 as of 4:45pm today. Sure it's in Jamaica right now but they say by tomorrow night it should hit. The authorities have finalized their plans for tourist evacuation to shelters in centro. My internet was down from like 12n today til 5:15pm (not Emily related) but with no TV and no internet it's horrible. It's like just waiting for the inevitable but we have no idea what the inevitable is. Category 5 for the love of God? That is what Gilbert was in 1988 and what a nightmare that was... I'll find a link somewhere to that.
Here it is: http://www2.sptimes.com/weather/HG.5.html

They cutoff sales of alcohol here at 4pm today which makes a lot of sense, no need to have a bunch of drunks trying to run for cover... so I went to the Oxxo to pick up a couple things and there were two guys there buying out the beer case (hurricane party I am sure). I don't see that being a factor for me, don't see much to party about. But I guess if you have been through one before you might get comfortable.

I just wonder what it's going to be like, that is the hard part right now. This is an all new experience for me and it's hard to know what to expect. I mean, how long without electric, internet, water, that kind of stuff? Will it be really loud? Will trees come flying through the windows? Lots of rain? Who freaking knows... Knowing about it so far in advance is good, but it's also a curse in a way. You spend 5 days anticipating it and by the end of it you are kind of a wreck. Glad I am going to Joe and Janet's - safety in numbers and all that.

Well time to sign off for now and continue surfing sites like www.cancun.bz and all that. Nothing like a good night of obsessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home