Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Taking a break from the break

So Kim came last Wednesday and just left this morning at like 5:15am (so I went back to bed til about 10:45am). We hung out here in Cancun Wednesday and Thursday (La Taberna Wednesday and Over 30 Thursday) and then Friday we went to Playa del Carmen for the weekend. It rained Friday in the day but never fear, we were greeted almost immediately by a well-versed and charismatic Utah-ian named Kie, who had a few bottles of tequila laying around his swim-up room (next door to ours) so we imbibed a little (cough cough) and b.s.'d alot. Fun. Later that afternoon we met Rhonda and Melanie from Houston, Texas, two girls who were on a short vacation from their lives and, it appears, accomplished everything they set out to do ~ great gals, truly, it was alot of fun chewing the fat with them. Met some other fun folks at the hotel bar - that Egyptian kid from LA and the couple from Arlington VA who competed with me on the '80s music. Sometimes you meet people and just know you would be friends with them if you lived nearby.

Saturday and Sunday and Monday were beach days, and that is what vacation is about, relaxing in the sun and having a cocktail here and there. We ate at some good restaurants and just pretty much hung out. I like Playa alot for vacations but not sure I could ever live there.

Came home on Monday and I got sick... stomach and digestive... pretty and oh so fun for having a guest! Oh, and to nail down that whole I-live-in-Mexico mystique I got going, the building is out of water. Happened Sunday night, still going on today. So like, no water but in the morning. So no shower, no flushing, no running water in the afternoon. Then "it" sort of fills up at night (I guess, hell I don't know) and by morning you can flush. Good day to be sick. I won't go into details. My friend Raul, who has lived here a long time, and actually now lives in my 'hood (the SM-three-one) (just kidding) has never had this problem. My building had this problem the first month (week?) I moved here. Martha (the landlord) phones and tells me she is all over Aguakan about it but what the heck do I know? Raul says it has something to do with someone not paying their bill but I just can't see that having to do with Martha.

Ummmmm, what else? Not much going on. They may have gotten rid of Big Guns McQueen from Over 30 which bums me greatly. Hi ~ I need a little stimulation if I am going to be sitting at that bar from time to time... is it SO much to ask? I don't know if I have explained BG at all, but in a nutshell he was a well-made and maintained specimen of a Mexicano bartender with just enough English to get my attention and really big arms (get it? Guns?). Janet and I started calling him Big Guns just for fun (and for the fact that we couldn't remember his name. It's Edgar and he is 27 - found that out Thursday night). But I guess he got into it with Adrian (Chaparro) behind the bar and then as a waiter he sucked too. You know, he didn't do much behind the bar, come to think about it. But I still didn't mind so much.

Okay that's enough for today. I had a great week with my visitor and hope she did as well. One nice thing about travelling is the folks that you meet. That is always good.

Everyone who reads this, how about a silent positive thought toward Cancun to get that water going again... and thanks to Joe and Janet for letting us shower two nights in a row!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home