Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sucky

If this kind of weather is here to stay, then Portland needs to invest in some sort of snow clearing equipment.

Yesterday we had a sort of sneak attack of a snow situation that started around 2:30pm and stuck around for rush hour. Consequently it took me 2 hours to go roughly nine miles, and at one point I clocked having gone .4 miles in thirty minutes (that's 4/10ths of a mile, for those of you who don't see periods.). All freeways were a mess, people had spun out on hills and there were plenty of road closures. It sucked. It only seems to snow when I have to be out in it, and for that reason, I hate the snow. Somebody suggested that it isn't the snow's fault, it's the idiots on the road for fucking it all up. I disagree. It's the snow's fault. Period.

It's supposed to be in the 40s today with rain, but that doesn't make my parking lot any clearer right now. Remember last year when this happened (only worse)? My biggest challenge was getting out of my complex, not so much the rest of the roads. I'm not sure how it will be out there this morning so I am waiting to leave. I'm not going to go out there and look like a jackass and possibly slide into the abandoned cars along the side of my neighborhood street just so I can get to work at 8. For once in my life I might just show up at 8:30. I don't think it will compromise anyone. Have I mentioned I hate this?

I am taking next Monday and Tuesday off, so consequently these last four work days of 2009 have been long and trying. I'm working on an assistant's desk who has been an assistant for twenty years (I was an assistant for about eight months and I wasn't that great at it then. I'm better as an officer. I respect the hell out of assistants every time I have to cover one.), and it's kicking my ass. That coupled with shitty weather that results in a drive that takes so long that you get home in time to go to bed, and a general feeling of shittyness for something that I wrote that hurt someone's feelings and the internal battle that I am fighting because of it is making this tail end of 2009 kind of sucky, so I am pretty much ready to just say, fuck it, it's over, let's just skip today and tomorrow and move forward.

Too bad it never works that way.

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, December 30, 2009, Blogger Marita said...

"That coupled with shitty weather that results in a drive that takes so long that you get home in time to go to bed, and a general feeling of shittyness for something that I wrote that hurt someone's feelings and the internal battle that I am fighting because of it is making this tail end of 2009 kind of sucky, so I am pretty much ready to just say, fuck it, it's over, let's just skip today and tomorrow and move forward."

Wow. There's a lot going on in that sentence. Deep breaths.

 
At 6:53 AM, January 05, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there were many compliments sprinkled in with those comments - release yourself & stop feeling badly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home