Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dear Cancun:

Thanks for the trip last week, it was great fun. I can't even remember how many times anymore that I've come to visit you, not to mention those two times I moved in with you. You know, I've always been drawn to you. I blame the water, and the sand; at least that's what I tell people when they ask me. But the real reason I can't seem to keep myself away is hard to explain, something intangible. Just a feeling I get when I'm there. Like I was meant to be there. Like I've always been there. I know you don't understand.

Thursday night I was sitting on the deck of our villa at VCI, looking out at the lights of the hotel zone, and I thought to myself, I have a story for every part of that stretch of land. And as I remembered them, a thought occured to me. I think I'm done.

I'm not saying I'll never come back, Cancun. But I think maybe our love affair has run its course. Every time I mention that I am going there, or have just come back, or have lived there, people ask me if I would ever move back. My answer was always pretty vague and had plenty to do with money, but I think I might be more inclined now to answer "No". I like my life here. I like having a Target, and things that make sense, defined lanes on the roads and being able to voice my opinion without keeping in mind that I am a guest in your country and should act somewhat accordingly.

I have you to thank for a big part of who I am today, Cancun. I've lived, how ever briefly, with your challenges and your laid back attitude (except while driving and in line at the supermarket..), and it helps me keep things in perspective back here in the states most of the time. But that night on the balcony I realized that there is no going back, and you are an experience I have had, over and over, that will stay in my past.

I have nothing but great memories of you (mixed in with some hard lessons, but isn't that life?) and will always cherish them. But maybe for my next adventure I'll look elsewhere.

Or maybe not. You just never know.

Yours faithfully,

TtheD

5 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, December 16, 2009, Anonymous Jane said...

I understand everything thing you said so well. To me, the intangible feeling you were unable to describe is "spiritual," which seems to have been buried under progressive greed, in and around Cancun.

 
At 6:59 AM, December 17, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

I think you're right, Jane, definitely spiritual. Perhaps if I stayed more south next time.. chasing that feeling. Thanks for commenting!

 
At 1:47 PM, December 17, 2009, Blogger My Way said...

I liked that letter a lot and could probably steal a few paragraphs from it. Do you feel kind of more at peace now?

 
At 8:41 AM, December 19, 2009, Anonymous Jackie said...

Come on over to Isla and check her out. I get that "I'm home" feeling every time I return. I used to think that I would live full time on Isla when I retire but have come to the realization that I don’t have the patience needed to live in Mexico. Long visits I can handle though and will continue those.

 
At 8:58 AM, December 20, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

Lizard, I do feel a little bit more at peace but you know me, gotta look forward to something. Jackie, I stayed on Isla in February 2008 at Nautibeach - loved it. I don't need a ton of activity on vacation. Perhaps I'll consider that again for the next go around...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home