Friday, November 27, 2009

Tradition

Aaaah Thanksgiving. An American tradition. For the three of us there was a ton of food that Tom got to take home. It rained like an SOB and felt like November. And it's over.

This morning I got up at 4:45 and met those Timm girls at the Starbucks by the Beaverton Fred Meyer for their Black Friday tradition. Apparently there is a sock sale situation at the Fred Meyer and this sock sale situation has been a long-running tradition that I'd never heard of until I started working with that Jodi back in around 2001. Half price on all socks. Word is it's complete pandemonium at 5am when shoppers bust down the doors and head for the socks. Things might be tough financially, but I think I can swing socks at full price. So we met at 6am. It really wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be, and I found parking right away. I also tried the new Starbucks holiday offering, creme brulee latte maybe? I can't remember what it's called. It was really good though. We didn't have much focus (it was 6am, remember) but I did get some gloves, you know those stretchy kind that look like they're for kids but when you put them on they stretch to fit an adult? They were $.99, so I got two pair (one blue, one brown, orange and white striped in support of my Cleveland Browns) (somebody has to support them...). The guy at the check stand goes "You got up at 4am to buy THESE?" I know.

From there we hit Target, again, not bad, except for in the electronics department, which was really kind of silly, because the line for electronics was seriously really really long, and yet there was hardly anyone in line for the regular cash registers. I talked to a guy who was waiting for his wife to use the restroom (while I waited for Nicky to do the same) and he told me they got there at 5am and yes, the lines at the regular cash registers went all the way around the store. I asked if they stood in them and he said no, they didn't buy anything.

I'm just really curious about this whole phenomenon. I mean, if you're going to make the effort, why not buy something? Especially at the Target. It's the Target. Odds are good you're going to need something there. I bought kibble for the bunnies, some waterproof mascara, sunscreen for the face and some slippers (nothing Christmas-related in the slightest. But it's the Target.), all in preparation for my upcoming trip (did I mention I leave Thursday?).

After the Target we had an hour to kill before breakfast, so we went back to the Fred Meyer (again, easy parking) to get my car and to get another coffee at Peet's. Then breakfast at the Village Inn with members of the Timm extended family, and then I went to work. I had to fix a HUD. And of course when I sent it through I got a really rude response from the agent, who is also the seller, and I thought to myself, Listen, bitch, you're luck I give this much of a shit on my day off. Which pretty much dashed all holiday cheer that may have been building after the morning's events (no it didn't, I'm not giving her that much power). After that I came home and napped.

So I am down to like 5 1/2 days to go and haven't even begun my pack prep. There's a ton to do. Tomorrow I am cleaning like a madwoman and Sunday is the all-day laundry fest, and then I guess I can say I am almost ready.

I'm starting to get excited. It's been forever since I've been down there this time of year and I am in desperate need of my own holiday tradition.

2 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, November 28, 2009, Anonymous Jackie said...

My daughter and SIL were at Wal-Mart at 4:45AM yesterday. They wanted to buy a big screen TV. It took them 1 /2 to even get to where the TVs are located. They had none of the TVs that were on sale left. So they went to Best Buy where they waited in line for 1 ½ hours to find out the TV they wanted was sold out but surprisingly the more expensive one was not. Tara said she is never ever freaking going to do that again.

 
At 8:57 AM, November 28, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

Clearly TVs are more important than socks. I can't even imagine waiting in those kinds of lines. And it doesn't surprise me that they were sold out - probably only had a handful of them and then used the age-old, tried-and-true bait and switch...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home