Saturday, January 05, 2008

What's "ornge"?

Clearly anyone can have a cooking show. This chick Sandra Lee has a show called "Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee" and she drives me nuts. Her show basically covers recipes that you can make by buying pre-prepped and/or store-bought stuff and then artfully alter it so that it is your own. Who hasn't been dumping Tapatio into canned chili or Rosarita refried beans for the last 25 years? Essentially that's her gig. You'll get stuff like "buy a roasted chicken from your supermarket's deli, take it home, tear it apart and throw it on a platter - Voila! Homemade roast chicken!" Irritating. I am waiting for the day where she makes Mexican food and starts by saying "Go to your nearest Chi-Chis and get a burrito to go, add some Nacho Cheese Doritos, dump them on a earth-toned plate and voila! You just cooked some Mexican food!" I believe that will be the day that I put on my shoes, go to Gresham, buy an AK, come back, and shoot my TV.

I start my Saturdays early by swilling coffee (mmmmmm Dunkin Donuts coffee - sorry Heather) with the channel 12 news and then when that's over I switch to the Food network. For some reason this Sandra Lee chick is really popular. You know, because people THINK they are cooking. Her show airs like every other 1/2 hour. "Go to the supermarket, pick up some Pillsbury crescent rolls, take them home and follow the directions on the package - Voila! You have mastered French cuisine!"

I know I have to put some real clothes on and go do something productive but the weather is for shit and I'd rather just rip on this TV "chef". "Let's move on to cocktails: get your coat and purse, hail a cab to the bar, and order a margarita. Ta da! You're a seasoned mixologist!"

Oh yeah, the title of this post. She says "ornge". What's "ornge?" Not only is she not a chef, she's also some sort of poorly educated hillbilly. God she drives me nuts. "Get some Tang out of the cupboard, measure it into a pitcher, add water, and you have fresh, wholesome ornge juice!"

I like Ina Garten msyelf. She cooks. She doesn't make cake out of a box. She actually has spices in her cupboard. I can live with Rachel Ray, but that "Simply Delicioso" chick kinda bugs me too. Quit with the over-the-top enthusiasm. It's painful. For God's sake it's just a quiche. Same with this Sandra chick. She talks to us like we're 9. "Take some Cool Whip, put it on your Sara Lee frozen pie, and voila! Homemade dessert!" I'm gonna drive MYSELF nuts.

Okay. Go. Get out. It's daylight. Or at least change the channel.

7 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, January 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might not have Dunkin' Donuts coffee, but at least I don't have to watch that chick "cook."

I have one of those recipes myself: boil codos, add one drained can of tuna, add Cheez Whiz to taste y voila! Homemade Tuna Mac n Cheez. It's delicious!

 
At 9:28 AM, January 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I missed the D&D discussion previously, but in Rhode Island, people are apeshit about it. You literally can't be anywhere in the state without having a Dunkin no less than half a mile from you. Now that I've been making my own coffee to save $, I can't do Dunkin anymore. Just not strong enough.

About the Sandra chick...loved your rant. I was looking into buying her cookbook because I was interested in the slow cooker thing. But after reading reviews, her stuff just seemed silly. I hate to cook. I can't cook. But I'll be damned if I'm going to buy pre cut potatoes. I can, at least, cut a potato.

Bite me, Sandra Lee

 
At 8:11 AM, January 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG she drives me nuts too!! What is with the completely redecorated kitchen on every episode...how many colors do Kitchen Aide blenders come in?? Her stupid "table scapes" irritate me too. Anyway, loved this blog!

 
At 8:39 AM, January 07, 2008, Blogger My Way said...

Wow I have no freakin clue who she is but she sounds like a really talented chef.

Does she at least have this awesome personality that you are watching the show for? You know if its not about the food, its about the personality?

 
At 9:23 AM, January 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, Joyce. I laughed at this entry so hard, I literally have tears in my eyes. One of your better ones. Becky H.

 
At 8:59 AM, January 08, 2008, Blogger Brenda Maas said...

I CANNOT stand her either. She drives me insane. I can't believe that they actually gave her a TV show/airtime. What a waste. Do people actually do the crap that she does? UGH.
Great post.

 
At 11:25 PM, January 14, 2008, Blogger ARrrrrr said...

I have never seen the show, but I hate her already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home