Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Relief for some, maybe not so much for others

For as much as I can gather, all is well down south (well, not WAY down south, but I can only seem to gather so much). Cancun was spared for the most part - sounds like mostly electricity flickering and maybe a Cablemas debunk-le or two (but, you know, that might describe any other non-weather-threatened day down there). Tropical storm-ish?

Again from what I can gather, the storm made landfall in Majahual (further south, look at a map for Pete's sake) between oh let's say Tulum and Chetumal for lack of a more specific explanation, and this is sort of good for cities and towns with a larger population but not so good for those towns with less resources. The media here since I got up (actually pretty early for me, but then again I ate a LOT of fruit last night and let's just say I didn't have the option of sleeping in...) has been about useless. Because Cancun wasn't completely wiped off the earth's surface like they had been anticipating (hoping for? You know how I feel about the media here), it appears that nobody in the media seems to care anymore. There is a guy reporting from Puerto Aventuras on The Weather Channel talking about how the waves are getting worse and worse, but I can't tell whether or not this is live or what.

Don't get me wrong, they are reporting. But at this point, even watching The Weather Channel, selflessly billing themselves as "your hurricane authority" (even though the forecaster last night was calling the region the "Cancun peninsula" and Elizabeth and I were having great fun with the constant butchering of the pronunciation of Chetumal), I can't figure out where the heck it is anymore. I am waiting for our Liz to log on just so I can make sure all is well. Maybe her power or cable is out. Hm. Maybe I will phone her on my way in to work.

So yeah, good news from down south in Cancun, but it's anybody's guess (well, mine anyway) how things are elsewhere. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Thanks to all those entities that must be thanked for this, that is for sure.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, August 21, 2007, Blogger My Way said...

I'm good to go. Have power and lots of junk food. Great.... I shall blog right about now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home