Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Where I am, mentally

So Janet flies in tonight at like 10:45, and my apartment needs sprucing up. I fear she will think I am a complete slob/basket case and tut-tut my lack of organizational skills. The truth is, I don't know where to begin because I am finding this whole thing to be an astronomical undertaking. Symbolically, the disposal of an Oregon Duck sweatshirt I bought in 1992 reminds me that I am uprooting everything I know and am comfortable with, for real this time.

The last time was so EASY. I had an apartment set up and waiting for me, I had good friends coming with to get me settled and ease my mind, I had a crap load of money in the bank, I had an unemployed neighbor to take me around and show me what bus to take and where was the best place to buy plastic drawers for my chonies. Within days (and no additional waiting for broken appointments) I had internet access and cable TV. I knew my agenda and it was pretty much "do whatever you want". Back home, my stuff was firmly ensconced in a secure storage unit, my car and sweatshirts and dough bin and cactus lamp all safe and sound. I knew that when it was time, I had friends coming to help me move my crap back, and I had a job waiting for me so that I could resume being me.

It's different now. I have no set timetable for return, if I do return at all. I don't have that much money in the bank. I have a little bit of debt. I have to sell my car, and some of my stuff, and get rid of a bunch of clothes I haven't looked at, let alone worn, in 2 years. Though I do have employment opportunities if I return, escrow has burned me out and I know better now.

It's worse at night, for sure, and in the light of day I think it won't be that much different to put my stuff in someone's basement for a year. But every little wrench that is thrown into the mix, here with one week before take off, sets me on a tailspin. Because it's CHANGE. Change is good, sure, but it is getting harder and harder. Routine for me is normal, and I am plunging myself into a world where there is no such animal. This is good for me, I know this, I believe this, I am doing it BECAUSE of this. But it is still really, really hard.

I have been whining a lot (I think) because I need time to wrap my head around so much, but I think it is important to know that it is not just a process of packing my crap and putting it somewhere else and selling the rest. It is about taking a sharp left turn and having know idea what the future is about for me. I think, no, I know, it will be good. But for right now, I am wallowing in a little bit of inner-panic.

Bear with me. I'll work through it.

3 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, March 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be an absolute basket case trying to coordinate this huge undertaking and you are doing it in like 2 weeks time?! Don't worry, my basement will keep your stuff safe and I will help you guys get things organized this weekend!! I'm very excited for you, and impressed that you are so brave, to pull up roots once again...I am one big chicken and will likely live in Portland all my life. Not that it's a bad thing, because I like it here...luckily.

 
At 8:00 AM, March 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyce,
I read this blog and I can understand and relate to everyting you feel. A back up plan is good, everyone, believe it or not, always has one. It does not mean you will ever use it, but it's a comfort zone.

I know it is a fast time frame, but we can do it, and believe me when I say you will not be alone in this process. You know that we are here and a support system is strong and ready and willing on the other side.

You have a place to stay (come the 11th)and it will be your home (well room).

You are stronger than you think you are, and Joe and I will make sure you don't fall of the cliff...

But whine all you want, and as long as we know you really WANT to come, we will listen to it all and help you every step you need help with............

 
At 8:15 AM, March 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JJ - It's a big leap of faith you are taking, but you know inside that it's going to be fine. Scary, yes, and fine. And Janet is right, we are here to catch you so you don't fall off the cliff! Deep breaths, deep breaths, just remember WE HAVE NO WINTER HERE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home