Thursday, February 01, 2007

A lifetime (or just a moment?) of ignorance

So yesterday one of the "more mature" women (and by that I ONLY mean "older") in my office came into my office to show me an article. It was about a stabbing that occurred on Tuesday at the Hillsboro library (Hillsboro is west of Portland and even Beaverton, and has a very large Spanish-speaking population). She wanted to show it to me to see if the stabber, or even the stab-ee, was one of my customers. I am closing for Bancasa again, so there is a steady stream of people-with-a-tan-even-in-winter types going all the way back to my office for signings. It clearly makes this woman nervous. The victim, whose name was something like Eduardo, and the guy that stabbed him for no apparent reason, were both Latin of some sort. My client from Bancasa, who comes in for each signing, is Everardo. She told me, I just want to make sure that it isn't the same person. I just looked at her. I told her, Yeah, you know, there are hundreds of thousands of Latinos in the state now, so the odds are pretty slim. You know, I told her, not all of them are criminals. As a matter of fact, I saw on the news some lady named Karen was in jail for killing someone, and I thought, Hmmm, I wonder if that's Kathy? I better ask. It could be the same person.

She has no idea how ridiculously offensive she is. So do I ignore her blatant stupidity, or do I tell her what time it is? Because seriously, she was dead serious when she asked me if my lender client stabbed a stranger at the Hillsboro library. She must think it's in their genes or something.

Meanwhile, I need to start getting things rolling...

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take her to lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Hillsboro.....and drive away? Actually - she might do something really stupid and insult people who don't deserve it....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home