Sunday, April 02, 2006

Springing forward

It's Sunday morning, and I am procrastinating. I need to go get the oil changed so I am going to go to Jiffy Lube. I know, I know, it's bad but this whole auto repair situation is such a racket that I am at everybody's mercy just waking up in the morning.

Friday I was coming back from lunch when suddenly my mom's car started chugging like it just didn't want to make it up the off ramp. Low gear and low idle, chugging like a freight train. Pissed, and having just made arrangements with Shelia to drop off the car at mom's Saturday, I asked everyone I could think of at work (which is one person, our token male in the branch) and other people on the phone what it might be, and the general consensus seemed to be a fuel filter issue. I ended up dropping it off at Midas (where she likes to take it for oil changes) yesterday and cancelled my appointment for my own car's complete system flushing Monday morning because that will cost me $200 and right now God only knows how much mom's car is going to cost me.

So I am going to Jiffy Lube. Fuck it.

Work is work, just chugging along. I ended my first full month at Transnation with 15 opened and 3 closed (woo... hoo...), a far cry from days of yore, but the open orders are increasing as I speak and everybody knows it is like I am starting from scratch all over again. No desk trailing along after me like other Senior Escrow Officers who change companies. So it will do what it is going to do and I will let it happen. I know I rock and soon enough everyone else will, too.

I got a pedicure and eyebrow wax with Xiang yesterday as well, and also bought some towels at Restoration Hardware and a bath mat at Pottery Barn. You know, because I can. It was good to talk to Xiang and throw my opinion around the salon, raising the eyebrows of the "priveleged" in Raleigh Hills and surrounding areas. She likes to plant a seed and I just run with it, my feelings about how here in the US our priorities are all screwed up, and how I don't particularly care for the people those priorities produce. It's not just about having expensive taste - I just spent $88 on 2 hand towels and 2 bath towels and I have boxes of Coach purses and name brand shoes - but it is putting the material before the spiritual that bugs me. I buy these things because I like them, I can afford them, and I have no one to spend my money on but myself (and a little place called Ciudad de la Alegria). I do not have some little person who I produced as an extension of myself and upon which I shower all the things I didn't get to do or have as a child, so I can indulge myself. Now everyone who was at the Nails Express at 10:30 on Saturday morning knows it. But as a passport-thumping US citizen, I have a God-given right to my opinion. So fuck 'em.

Okay, nice diversion from getting my clothes on and getting this oil situation taken care of. I am off. Happy daylight savings time to all ~

2 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, April 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well your I don't give a fuck attitude is really entertaining. Keep on sistah!

 
At 5:32 PM, April 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beaverton must love you. Me thinks it is your Indiana.

Rebecca

(btw - do you get an alert when people post comments? I am always a few weeks behind, but just read an article on msnbc re: the end of Arrested Development so thought of you)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home