Friday, January 21, 2011

AMJ

I think I might be that old.

This week I was in Orenco, and Jodi's grandson needed a song for some project at school, I can't remember exactly what/where/why, but it had to have meaning of some sort, God, who knows, but ANYway, it all came down to Jodi decided the song he needed to have was "Abraham, Martin and John" by Dion. She sent out an email to the branch asking if anyone had a copy of it, and emotions ran rampant.

Pretty much all by me.

Three of the girls are young. Like barely past 25. And the rest are in general the generation that might actually know a) who Dion is and b) this song. I saw the song title and immediately got chills because I LOVE this song. Discussion ensued, and it turns out, the younger set had NO IDEA what this song was. Neither did one of the girls who is like 2 months younger than me. From which another emotion sprang forth, and that is, what is this crap you've been listening to your whole lives that you've never heard this song? Who are your parents that they've never played music that THEY might like in front of you? I know a full range of music, from Big Band to Old School Gangsta Rap, and I appreciate how popular music has evolved over the decades. But you can't tell me that when you were like seven you didn't hear some of the music your parents played, or you never worked in an office where the guy next to you listened to an oldies station? Good Lord.

Jodi figured out how to get the copy for herself (which in itself was pretty funny) and brought it in today, which was good, because I'd been singing it all week. Dion is a lot better at it than me. So we had a planned listening of it, but I couldn't wait and took it in to Rita's office to give it a listen. Chills. I love this song. But while we were listening (Rita's more my age), I got a little bit angry, because, again, who doesn't know this song? I mean on top of everything else, it's iconic. I mean listen to the goddamn thing. It was with great horror (are you getting all these emotions down?) that I realized then that I had suddenly turned into an 83 year old WWII vet bitching about kids today, and their God damned music, and then it hit me: I'm old.

Like when people (the young coworkers?) describe me to their friends, they probably say, "This old broad in our office is kind of losing it." Or if I say something that doesn't make sense they might just be thinking, Well, I guess it's happening. More and more shopclerks are calling me ma'am, and just yesterday a little girl called me La Vieja while walking past me on her way to the doctor's office upstairs. So when did THAT happen?

It's disconcerting to some degree, but then again, crazy old ladies get away with a lot... I could look at this like an opportunity.

Maybe when I'm really ready to seal the deal.

But for now, please enjoy this fabulous video. Get a tissue, because seriously, the song is hard enough, but with the video? Killer.

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, January 24, 2011, Anonymous Sara said...

I wouldn't say you're a crazy old broad. I just really love how aggravated people get when I say things like "Oh 1984, that's the year I was born" Hahahahahahaha

 
At 7:39 PM, January 24, 2011, Blogger JJ said...

And you probably didn't like it, either. You are made of stone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home