Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spontaneity combusts

So I almost took a stab at spontaneity this week and flew to meet some friends. On a whim. No thought to order and routine. Just throw some shit in a bag and fly away.

Almost.

My friend phoned earlier in the week, and wanted to know if I felt like taking a trip to see him and his wife. My first response was, Yeah, no, I just paid for my condo in Mexico. Turns out he was giving up a voucher from one of his frequent trips, and my spending would be minimal. Like next to nothing. Like maybe I'd be buying them some beers or something. I was intrigued.

He found some good flights. He and his wife were having friends over on Saturday night, and he thought it would be fun to surprise her. I asked for Monday off, and got it. I made arrangements for rides to the airport. Then he phoned the next day and told me the not-so-great news: He had been checking flights for the wrong week.

Now with two days to plan, things were looking grim. The planets weren't aligning in our favor and there is no way I could have left work early on Friday. Only options truly available were on Delta, and after this experience, oh my hell I am never flying Delta again. Go back and read the dang thing, you won't either.

I think it's a pretty good step in the right direction, though, almost taking a spontaneous trip for the weekend, just to drink beer with some friends. Even though I thought about how much I'd miss the kitties, or how I might not be able to watch the Duck game Saturday (Cal!), I was still totally going to do it.

I think that counts. It's good enough for me.

4 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, September 25, 2009, Blogger Gringa-n-Mexico said...

Hell I'm proud of you, you would have had to SHOWER. :P

 
At 4:18 PM, September 25, 2009, Blogger Marita said...

Good Lord! Dave is just telling me this story. I would have pooped. I'm not kidding. I'm a little sad now, but proud of you, dang it.

 
At 11:24 AM, September 26, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

Marita - Here's hoping you poop anyway, it's not good to keep all that in. Raise a glass to me tonight.

Gringa - I know, you're right. So in honor of not going this weekend, I chose not to shower today.

 
At 5:34 AM, September 28, 2009, Blogger Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

Getting you out of your house unexpectedly is a big achievement. Getting you on a plane--- Nice!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home