Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A shot in the arm

Yesterday I found myself loitering in the lobby of the branch I was working in, chatting with a few coworkers, when one of them mentioned she was on the way downtown to the KOIN to get her flu shot. First American pays for a flu shot every year, but I never get them. I never get sick, so what's the point? Actually, I SAY I never get sick, but I think last year I may have gone home early a couple of times feeling poorly. I block stuff like that, so I'lll continue to say I never get sick. Deal with it.

Anyway, the idea caught like wildfire (more like a tiny little brush fire - there were only two others up at the desk at the time) and before I knew it I was roped in to going downtown and getting one myself.

Having never had one, I was a little bit concerned about the reaction I might have, not to mention the assumed pain of a shot in the arm, but like a trooper, I piled into Nicky's rig along with Amanda and Robin, and off we went on a little field trip.

The line to get in was pretty long, thus prolonging the anxiety a little bit, but before long we were ready to go. Channel 6 news (KOIN) is IN the KOIN Tower (really?) so of course as we approached the nurse, in walks a camera man with his gear. Sets up. Ready to go when it's my turn.

He asks me if he can film me getting my shot. I tell him I haven't had a shot in roughly fifteen years (well, not THIS kind of shot anyway) so I couldn't be responsible for any knee-jerk reactions, but sure, why the hell not? So he did. I don't have the greatest arms on the planet, but he was zeroing in pretty close and I suppose I should just trust his artistic abilities. Plus it was the second time one of my body parts was featured in a news story, so at least that resume is expanding.

As for the shot, I didn't even feel it. I did, however, feel like complete poo last night, but I googled "Does the flu shot give you the flu?" and found that it's just a myth that you can get sick from it. My mind is a pretty convincing thing so maybe I just talked myself into it. Or maybe it's because my monthly is a flipping raging bitch right now. I'm guessing it's the latter.

I don't watch the news (don't get me started) so I have no idea if my arm enjoyed its 15 minutes last night. And since I have never had a flu shot before and never get sick, here's hoping it doesn't happen this year.

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, September 29, 2009, Blogger Gringa-n-Mexico said...

YAY! And OKKAAYY what was the OTHER body part on t.v.???? :P

 
At 6:38 AM, September 30, 2009, Blogger Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

I am with Gringa! what exactly where those circumstances. You Trooper!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home