Thursday, November 13, 2008

Warm days ahead?

So I'm sitting at my desk yesterday morning, sipping green tea and wondering just what was in store for me on this second Monday of the week, staring out at the construction workers busily replacing all the siding and windows on our ten-year-old building, feeling my hair frizz into nappiness as a result of 1.8 seconds in the rain just 20 minutes earlier, when Angela walks in with a jaunty little snow hat. She had knitted it, and it was really cute. I mean really cute, like I would buy one if I saw one retail. She's a knitter, that Angela. So we started discussing knitting and the things she has knit and the things she CAN knit and I started thinking about my favorite J. Crew sweater that I bought about 12 years ago that has finally given up the ghost, riddled with holes that are probably cat-related, when it struck me - Angela knits. She could knit me some sweaters. She could probably recreate this favorite sweater, among other things. I asked her how long a sweater would take to knit, factoring in her full-time job, two kids and husband, and she said about a month, if it is simple. Oh I am all about simple. While I was devising my plan of just how many sweaters I wanted her to knit for me, while not taking into consideration that the holidays are upon us and she, being a knitter, had several projects already lined up, she suddenly brought up this machine she spotted at the craft store. A sweater knitting machine. What, ho? What is this sweater knitting machine madness you speak of?

Those of you who have known me up here, in the cold, know that I am Sweater Girl. I'm always cold, so it just makes sense. And I spend a lot of money on sweaters. A LOT. I had questions: what does it do? How does it do it? How long does it take to make a sweater? So what, you just slap a skein of yarn on it, turn it on, go out and have a cigarette, and voila! Let's throw on some jeans and this fun new sweater and hit the bar? Though it appears to be a bit more complex than this, it still is no month-in-waiting, and apparently someone has to actually sew the sleeves on and all that, but for my needs, this was quite an interesting proposition.

The machine she saw was $160. That's basically one sweater for me. A cheap one, at that. I'm devising a plan - sponser the machine for her and put her to work. I started dreaming up big, bulky, wooly sweaters in colors like loden and chocolate and deep deep gray. I fantasized about a warm winter, for once, my head spinning at the thought. I dreamed about never having to wear the same thing on casual day.

I checked the machine out online -
It doesn't LOOK all that complicated. I kind of don't understand it, the concept. But Angela The Knitter says it can be done, and I believe her.

I might just have to sponser her.

3 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, November 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will sponsor your first sweater, but it has to be that multicolored horror that's pictured on the Sweater Machine box or the deal is off. And you have to wear it on a date.

 
At 6:51 PM, November 13, 2008, Blogger JJ said...

While I was paying for my eBay purchase (half-price!), I remember saying to Angela, "I'm pretty sure I won't want you to make me THAT one." You're safe - no need to sponser my first sweater.

 
At 12:14 PM, November 15, 2008, Blogger Theresa in Mèrida said...

LOL...now the fun begins. Wait until you see the price of yarn! Actually, I love ideas like the sweater machine, I don't think that I have ever finished an adult sweater, I have made lots of kid ones.
After you get over the shock of yarn prices, check out all the really amazing yarns. Very easy to get addicted.
regards,
Theresa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home