Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Joyceslist

I was just sitting down to do a mid-week post that I am sure was full of a whole lot of nuthin, but my brother Benny called from Oak Creek, Colorado. I know better than to answer any phone calls from Benny after, oh, say 6pm my time, but I did it anyway. Benny has been wanting me to post an ad on Craigslist for his 1968 Buick Skylark.

A couple of weeks ago his friend took a picture of it on his cell phone and emailed it to me, but gave me no information about it. I wasn't into to a big long conversation at the time, so I didn't like call him back and say, so what is it? Instead, I kind of forgot about it until now, when the phone rang, at like 8:30, and it was Benny. I felt like I should answer it. Bad idea.

About once every year or so his friend John I. is with him when Benny phones me. Which means they are drinking beer and doing some other stuff and they get to talking and having really loud conversations with themselves and totally ignoring me and all this crap and I generally put up with it for about 15 minutes until I can't take it anymore and yell at them and hang up. But I was trying to be nice this time and did the Craigslist ad with both of them yawing back and forth at each other. It lasted an hour, the phone call. I can't believe I let it.

Oak Creek is sort of a hippie kind of town, and Benny and his buddies don't really have a big interest in modern things, you know, like the internet. I think Benny just got a cell phone about five years ago. He refuses to get one with a camera on it, I mean flat out refuses. Benny's like one of those caricature old timer prospectors from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. And not really in a good way. But no beard. He used to have one that looked like Colonel Sanders, but I think that was just a phase he was going through.

Anyway, my original post was going to touch on the fact that tomorrow I have to shell out a crap load of money to move into this new apartment on Saturday, and the fact that I have one box packed. It really shouldn't surprise any of you that know me. I work better under pressure. The good news is that Comcast can switch over my cable and all that on Saturday, my moving day, so there should be no interruption of service. And I believe them because this is not Mexico. Although my Cablemas experiences really weren't that bad.

Instead, anybody want to buy a car?



(You know, if you click on the picture, you'll see Benny in the background drinking a beer. Neither of them realized he was in it until I pointed it out to them tonight. Them laughing about it probably took up about five minutes of that hour phone call...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home