Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Tired and dry

I thought I should blog tonight. I am just exhausted and I don't really have much to say, but I feel some how obligated. It's not you, it's me. Really.

So my esteemed brother-in-law Paul gave me a project for LGRT, and I will work on that very soon. I even thought about starting tonight, but my mood isn't right - perhaps tomorrow while I am beginning a long weekend of procrastination. I'm moving soon (SOON) and I haven't really done anything along the lines of prepping for it. I work best under pressure (or, you know, when someone comes over and does it FOR me), so I have no worries about this particular move. It should be my last move for a long long time. Famous last words, right?

Last night my life-long friend Vinnie came in to town. He was with his wife and son, but I did not see those two, which actually is pretty common for Vin's visits. I was trying to remember when the last time I saw him was - I am pretty sure it was when I visited my brother and sister-in-law in Yorba Linda back in May of 2005. Anyway, Vinnie was in town during the break from the Olympic trials being held down in Eugene. He was giddy. Vin went to the University of Oregon with my brother Chris, and he spent a lot of time in our family home in Beaverton for holidays and stuff. As a Duck, having the trials in Eugene has been great. It was nice that he was able to come up for a couple of days during the break and visit my mom and other friends.

He showed up (advanced notice, but for Pete's sake) at Tom's apartment at about 7:15pm last night, and I met them over at the Broadway Saloon at around 7:40 or so. Here's what I (don't) (really) love about the Broadway - it used to be my local like I don't know 6 or 7 years ago, and I might go in there maybe once every 9 months or so. I mean I never go in there. But of course, it being the Broadway, I walk in and know people. So you gotta go through the whole Oh, hey, how are you blah blah blah you look great blah blah blah I can't believe you still work here blah How long has it been blah? Twenty years? Oh my hell blah! Yeah whatever, it's a flipping school night, practically TOMORROW it's so late, let me just find my friend and get this thing rolling.

So it was nice catching up. Vinnie likes to party and all that, and I am just not into it right now, so I had a couple of club sodas and stayed a couple of hours chatting and talking about old times and catching up on the Southern California set. It was nice, and though I got home right around 10, I had to watch the (dvr'd) season finale of "Hell's Kitchen" (which is a two-parter for crying out loud) and went to bed around 10:45. FORTY FIVE MINUTES PAST MY BEDTIME. Ugh.

I slept fine and got up and felt hungover. So I'm kind of pissed off. All day I felt hungover. Which is just stupid. I haven't had any alcohol in like, I don't know, a month or something, and yet... so I figured what it must be is that all this time that I was going out on school nights and drinking and then feeling like crap all the next day and just EXHAUSTED and begging to go to bed that night and all that, it had nothing to do with the booze. It apparently had EVERYTHING to do with a messed up sleep pattern. So I make this sort of pledge to myself that I am going to lay off the sauce for a while, what real good comes of it and all that, and really, it was totally getting a bum rap. I feel totally gypped. I can only IMAGINE how beer feels right now.

So I am typing away right now but the look on my face says it all - drawn mouth, drooping eyes, head sort of bobbling around on my neck... I am so going to go get ready for bed, you can believe that. I'm all "hungover" but I'm really not.

I want to blame it on screwed up sleep patterns, but it probably is just more psychosomatic fucked-up-ness that I deal with on a regular basis.

3 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, July 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you really are excited about my project... maybe you need a regular column... because all your creativity cannot be corralled in just one blog.

 
At 2:28 PM, July 04, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, a sign that my life is totally out of control, is that I am just now getting caught up on all your blogs going back to that horrible king of shit show, whatever it is. Who writes this stuff, anyway? I have never and will never watch who loves raymond or any sitcom similar to the 80's when they first started out. I hate them. I'd rather watch Living with Lohan for God's sake.
Anyhoo, its the 4th; I went to bed at 9:00 Thursday night and woke up at 9:00 Friday (yu think?) and I am still not dressed. I tried to sit in the rain, but I got wait. yes, it rained in my hood today.
Typical. However, I hope Vinnie had a good visit. Did anyone else visit him but you havent' mentioned it so I wouldn't be bitter?
All that aside, work has picked up (Thank God in heaven as we are still down from last year and I know what commission driven jobs mean to those of us who rely on them). Also, I found out that a good friend has breast cancer. As I saw her just 2 weeks ago, this is a shock. So please send prayers, thoughts, good vibes to Susan.
Call me, Joycie. I still haven't made it to the Target, excuse me, that's The Target, to get my coffee pot, so I drank a diet pepsi for the caffiene. Not the same.
Happy 4th of July to all and thank God we have jobs, homes, health and friends.

Barbie

 
At 1:35 PM, July 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good 4th. I'm in Maine right now, and so did celebrate it. My first 4th in 5 years.

I've long thought that a major component to my hangovers is simply lack of sleep. If I go to a party and drink water but come home late I get a hangover anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home