Sunday, June 29, 2008

So it's been a year. Again.

I kind of forgot. But I've been back a year. Again. I guess I moved back around the 23rd of June or so. My one year back at First American is... um... Wednesday, maybe? How about that.

So what are the differences between this re-entry and the first re-entry? Well, this time I think I was ready to be done with the whole living-and-working-in-Cancun thing and was looking forward to being a normal Oregonian. The last time I was still trying to acclimate to "normal" life and couldn't stand how rude everyone is here. This last time I just wanted to fly a little bit under the radar, the first time I wanted everyone to hear my story (but, you know, back then nobody wanted to hear it).

The first time, I got a job that included bonuses, and this time around, maybe not so much. I feel much broker now, because since I haven't had any bonuses, I have not been able to build up any savings or pay down much debt. Plus I have a car payment and bigger insurance premiums. So financially I feel like crap. I have to find a way to fix that.

I thought that by now, I mean, it's been a year for Pete's sake, that I would be over the issues I had when I got back. But um, I'm not. And I need to continue to find a way to fix THAT too, because it's not good ju-ju.

People still tell me they think it's a pretty big thing that I did, both moves, and I know this, and it has made me into a better person, a more thoughtful person, a more patient (okay, that's a real generality there) person, a more compassionate person. I'm glad I did it and got it out of my system, and I know I won't do anything like that unless I have GOOD money coming in or the perfect (near, even)situation lined up. I have definitely learned to never say never.

I don't have any regrets, but I sure wish I had some more money in my savings.

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, June 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drop me an email (info@lastgreatroadtrip.com) I would like you to write a guest piece for the blog... a what it is like to be a gringo in mexico and how to blend in :-) you know you want too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home