Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ickyness in the air

Work is kind of icky. The industry is experiencing a low and with that, in my end of it, comes not a whole lot of business to be had. We have been laying off for some time now, and we consolidated some branches. My feeling is that with less branches, and more people in the existing branches, floats will go by the wayside.

The thing about float staff is that even in the best of times escrow companies don't have them. When I was at Brand X back in the day, we never had floats. Well, maybe we had one. But she never floated on my desk. And I can't even remember who it was.

Back in July 2007, when I came back from Cancun the second time and joined the float pool, we had like five floats on the west side alone. Now we are two. How terrifying is that?

I don't really want to keep talking about it, because I feel like it will "make" it happen, but honestly, if I was management? I wouldn't keep floats. I would have the branch take care of their own. I guess it's a good thing I am not manageement.

So there is sort of an "air" about at work, and of course everytime there is a meeting scheduled, or whenever Linda comes in for a visit, we all get kind of nervous and nobody makes eye contact. It's just sucky. But I have sort of put myself in the position that whatever happens happens, and it's already been decided anyway, I am sure, and I'll just have to do whatever the next step is should my name be on the list. I can get comfortable with that, I don't have a lot of options.

Still it is a little bit sad to see good people that I have worked with for a long time not be there anymore. It's still the best title and escrow company out there, it's just a little bit different now.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, July 24, 2008, Blogger CancunCanuck said...

Ugh, what a horrible feeling. Living in Toronto I experienced several down-sizings and corporate takeovers and closures. Yep, several, I had great luck. Worst feeling in the world. No harm in getting your feelers out for what kind of work is out there, shine up the old resume and look ahead.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home