Saturday, October 28, 2006

Me, Mel, and the bunny ears.

I am a dream-land star-fucker, I swear to God. Last night I dreamt about Mel Gibson. Not current Mel Gibson, but Mel Gibson from like "The Year of Living Dangerously" or even "Galipoli". Good stuff. Hanging out in some small town in middle America, during 4th of July festivities. Not as truly realistic as my fabulous vacation with Gael, but I got to see him naked. Hmmm. You think something is missing in my life?

So I was awoken this morning at 7am by Joe calling from Cancun with some news - hopefully favorable, I am not going into detail of course. It was pitch dark in my room and I thought it was like 5am or something. Normally I would have woken up on my own before that time, but it was so DARK! I know, I know, we change the clocks tonight so that's the last day for that.

I chatted with Elizabeth for a little bit and then went into work about 10, worked until 11:45 (barely accomplished anything, and I am seriously wondering just how I am going to pull off closing the 12 files I have between Monday and Tuesday BY MYSELF) and then foolishly went over to Party City (I love stores with names like that) to get something, ANYTHING, that I could wear to tonight's gig without actually committing to a costume. Me and 4000 other SW Portlanders. There were slim pickings, let me tell you, but plenty of completely unruley, unsupervised toddlers wandering around under foot while their parents busied themselves with various items so engrossing they must have reverted back to their pre-parenting days. Because they certainly ACTED like they didn't have kids. I am surprised there weren't a couple of abductions. Just little innocent parentless children wandering aimlessly around in aisles that had nothing in them that would interest a child. I thought people were being more careful these days. Perhaps a place like Party City seems safe to them.

But I digress. I am just not a costume person. I am going to a party tonight in Camas (WA) (like REALLY far away from my comfort zone) (and I am not driving so it should prove to be an extremely expensive taxi ride) and though it said "costumes optional" the girl I am going with is getting all done up so I figured I would at least make an effort. I just can't see myself sitting in a taxi from here to SE Portland dressed like, say, Frankenstein. And then Frankenstein and a deranged Prom Queen (my friend) in the back of a cab from SE Portland to Camas (east of Vancouver, good lord). And then, even worse, how does Frankenstein houdini? Not hard to spot Frankenstein lurching out the front door and down the steps waving for the taxi...

I bought bunny ears. They easily slip off the head and into the purse in a single fluid motion should the need arise.

But don't you love Halloween when it's a work day and people are encouraged to dress up? My favorite part is driving to and from work and sitting at a stop light next to, say, Bozo the Clown. He's drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, smoking a cigarette, lip-syncing to the Backstreet Boys. It just cracks me up - when you are face to face with the costumed at work, they are smiley and festive and all "look-at-me"-y and then they are back on the road, trying to act like their face isn't painted and they aren't wearing a gigantic rainbow afro wig. It's like watching nuns drive. I love that.

I took an extra long nap and am amusing myself reading about some chick wanting to move to Cancun on one of the message boards but can't understand why people are being negative or trying to deter her (negativity being her impression of people telling her generally speaking it is NOT like living in paradise, the bugs are huge, the beaucracy is crazy if you have to deal with it, and the hours are long if you have to work. She doesn't believe them. It's comedy.). Then sooner or later I will hose off, pop on the bunny ears and start the long journey across Portland to get to this party. I need a little adventure.

4 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger My Way said...

Did you houdini?

 
At 4:00 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger JJ said...

No! As a matter of fact, Camas is SO far away that it took an hour to get a taxi as it was. Jenn and I were the last ones there (which was fine since it was Jenn's sister's party) and then it took pretty much another hour to get back home - thank God for the time change. The party was a great one though so it wasn't something I would have left anyway.

 
At 5:36 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger My Way said...

Well then. It's only when paper turns to plastic that you tend to houdini....

 
At 6:05 AM, October 31, 2006, Blogger JJ said...

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... took me a minute...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home