Saturday, August 05, 2006

¡Sabado gigante!

So on the TV right now is the dvd "Hustle and Flow". The song won Best Song at the Oscars. It stars that Terence guy that was also the oreo from "Crash", but I almost want to say that this movie, this thing that is on while I am blogging, may have been nominated for Best Picture. You know what, I'm gonna look that up. Hang on. Okay I'm back - it wasn't nominated for Best Picture, but the Terence guy was nominated for Best Actor. Oh my hell. I can't even understand him (but I guess that's probably why he was nominated). This thing is a piece of crap. I can't believe I watched the first hour. I just ... can't believe it.

So yesterday I got pulled over on my way home from work. Well, not pulled over exactly. A Washington County Sheriff was behind me on Scholls Ferry at the light at Allen, and when the traffic started moving, he was sort of hanging back, like I knew he was running my plate so he wasn't paying attention to the traffic, just the computer. Anyway, I went on, and turned into the little stop-and-rob where I buy my smokes, got out, and saw that he had pulled into the parking lot too. Not like RIGHT BEHIND me, or even in a spot, but sort of back a ways and perpendicular (is it perpendicular when he's like, crossing my "t"? I should have paid more attention in Algebra. Sorry, Mr. Krake, but you never should have let me screw around in class.). Anyhoo, so I go in, get my smokes, and as I am coming out and getting back in the car, the sheriff yells out "Joyce!" I say, "Yes?" and he walks over to me and says, "Do you have your drivers license on you?" And I say, "Of course..." and hand it to him. He doesn't tell me why he has called me out, his lights are not on, and we step over to the curb and I take my sunglasses off (mind you, I buy smokes at this store ALL THE TIME, so the clerk is pretty interested, as are the other patrons). He looks at it, then says, "Meet me at my car" and I say, "Well, do you want the rest of the stuff, registration and insurance?" And he says, "Sure you can get that, I'll just meet you at YOUR car." Of course, he's a cop, I ask him if I should get IN the car or stay OUT of the car (any opportunity for him to yell at me has to be averted). He says I can get in, so I get in, get the stuff out of the glove box, and wait for him.

It was only a couple of minutes. He walks back over, hands me my license back and says, "Yeah, mistaken identity. There is a person with your name with a felony warrant." So I look at him and say, "With MY name? Joyce J------?" And he says "Yeah" but you can see he wants to get out of there. I exclaim "A felony!" And then I go, "But you ran my plate. Does she have the same kind of car?" By this time he is sprinting for the cruiser, and he says no, and then tells me, "Don't be surprised if you get pulled over again."

It took roughly 4 seconds for me to put the stuff in the glovebox and turn the key, but when I looked in my rearview to pull out, he was gone. And I turned right on to Scholls Ferry, the way he must have gone, since he couldn't have gotten out going left with the traffic and all, and he wasn't even ahead of me. He was like, GONE gone. I figured he must have gotten a call or something, or didn't want to deal with the fact that he approached me for no reason at all. Except I was thinking that maybe he ran the plate because my car is 18 years old and this is Washington County, where apparently your car defines you (but only if you think people will think you're really neato if you drive an expensive car).

Meanwhile, back on the TV, the Terence guy just beat the smack out of the more important rapper guy, and as he was being hauled off, his number one whore was dramatically pledging their anthem (um, "I in char' "? I told you I can't understand him.). I can't believe it's still going.

Yeah, so not much else today. Got up at 7am with the best of intentions, but chatted with Jan Jan until 12:30 - she came online around 9:30 my time. Sometimes you chat and good Lord the time just flies. So I managed to hit Target and then went and got Tom because I'm really nice. Got home and this is the reward I get. "Hustle and Flow".

Ain' THAT a bitch.

After thought - It bears answering the same question here that Jan Jan asked - why didn't I ask him why he pulled me over? Well, why would I? He's a cop, I'm a citizen. I am required to do whatever they tell me, because as a private tax-paying citizen, I have no rights when it comes to being approached by a peace officer. I'm being serious. I could have asked him, and he could have told me anything. I think that's why he told me someone with my same name (right) had a felony warrant. Nuh uh. I was listening to Mana and my car is old. He probably saw the car and thought I was some illegal alien who never transferred the tags. I know what time it is. So yeah, doesn't matter if I asked him or not. He can do whatever he wants.

7 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your car is 18 years old?!?!?!
Wow! that's amazing!

 
At 7:14 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention that my microwave is 22 years old ... yep, 22!
It's a Quasar.

 
At 8:11 AM, August 06, 2006, Blogger JJ said...

I am SUCH a dork. It's not 18, it's 14 years old. I just did the math again. Aren't you impressed? Even still, 22 years is a long time for a microwave...

 
At 8:58 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't one of your tailights busted or cracked open? I seem to remember it being so. Maybe he used that as an excuse. Sometimes cops just run plates to make their day more interesting. You need to put one of those "I support the Fraternal Order of Police" stickers on your car...

- Kim

 
At 9:37 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyce,

Even 14 years is a long time for a car ... I'm impressed!

You don't need a "I support the Fraternal Order of Police" stickers on your car...
you need one that says, "I love donuts!"

 
At 9:43 AM, August 06, 2006, Blogger JJ said...

Kim - there is a little hole on the plastic casing of one of my tail lights, but the bulbs work just fine and the hole doesn't by any stretch disrupt the integrity of the light itself. I just think he thought I was a Mexican.

Janie - I laughed at that one - but I think that would be sort of obvious... ;)

 
At 3:10 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger SS said...

OMG...you crack me up when you say "Oh my hell"!!

I can't believe the story about being pulled over. What did that SOB want? I'd call the sherriff's office & ask if there's any truth to an outstanding warrant!

And, I love it that you had to re-do the math! I hate math! I panic at the thought of even calculating a tip...thank God for those handy-dandy tip calc cards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home