Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pet Peeve #793

I'll admit it: I'm on Facebook plenty. I find it entertaining, and as a single person with no kids and not a ton of disposable income, I like how it burns time. Sue me. But as a person on Facebook plenty, there are some things that drive me crazy. So I'm going to tell you what they are. Not all of them, mind you, but just the two that are on my mind right now because I was just on Facebook before I started this post.

1) People who say "yum" or "yummy" to a wall post about food. It sounds kind of silly, doesn't it? To have this be a pet peeve, and #793 no less, which is pretty close to the top of the list? But it drives me insane. I have quite a few friends who like to post what they're eating at the time they're eating it (I'm not sure why, really, or what a waiter thinks when he sets down the plate and the camera comes out), and strangely enough that doesn't bother me. It's the never-ending comments of "Yum!" that do. Let me clarify, before you all get in a tizzy and wonder whether or not you over-post your own yums on food pictures: You can yum whenever you want, I suppose, it's a free country after all, but do you have to yum on EVERY food post? And not have anything else to say? To anyone? Except yum? Or yummy? I realize my food-posting friends, like all my friends, want someone to respond to their post, but why not be creative about it? Like "Wow, that's a lot of baba ganoush!" or "Nice wiener!" I saw a picture of head tacos yesterday, and seriously, some chick yummed it. She wasn't Latin, probably never had a head taco in her life, and would likely recoil in horror if someone actually told her that it was really head. But she yummed it. I think I know why - I think she secretly has a crush on my head taco-eating friend and the only thing she can think to do is yum his picture. It could have been a picture of anything food-related. I wonder how many girls get dates by yumming a picture? Seems like a rather interesting strategy. I sure hope if it works that she at least puts out.

2) People who CLEARLY are madly in love with a FB friend but are too shy/passive-aggressive to tell them. I see this on a couple of my friends' posts, both guys who are attractive, outgoing, gregarious and very active both on Facebook and real life (if you believe what anybody writes on Facebook). They both have over 500 friends and update their statuses almost hourly. Nothing wrong with any of that. But the same friends comment on each and every update these guys make, and it would crack me up if it wasn't so irritating to me. "Joe Blow is in the car wash!" "And you didn't invite me? :p" "Joe Blow is sporting alligator boots!" "Sexy!" "Joe Blow has a killer sinus infection" "Poor baby, I'd love to take care of you! ;)" And on and on. Joe Blow rarely comments back to her, and I think it makes her want him even more. Which is kind of pathetic. Whenever I see these girls posting on my friends' posts, I fear a little bit more for the 'teens and 'tweens in our country, never learning that you don't necessarily need a boyfriend or girlfriend to complete you, always hoping but never asking for what they want. I'm not sure this particular thing is as much of a pet peeve as the yum thing, but I've always been one of those people that feels sorry for someone making an ass out of themselves because SOMEbody has to and clearly they don't. I've always been a fan of the underdog but I kind of get the feeling that if it wasn't for these girls, these two Facebook friends of mine wouldn't have the kind of egos they have. I suppose that's what makes the world go around, though, right? Maybe.

I suppose it doesn't matter that these things bug me, in the end, because people will continue to yum food pictures and shy, spineless girls will continue to stalk Facebook eagerly awaiting the next status update of their beloved who will never pay enough attention. And the world will continue to revolve. And I'll continue to be irritated by the littlest thing.

7 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, March 28, 2010, Anonymous Jackie said...

I take and post food photos and have been guilty of commenting to other’s food pics “Yum!” Usually when I post photos of food I have some story to go with it like the new NYC pizza place on Isla. Or when I was in search of what someone in my office called the best hamburger ever at 5 Guys.
I do have two friends (a couple) who take photos with their iPhones and post them on FB from the table and then comment on each others photos. That is a bit annoying when you are trying to have a nice dinner and conversation with friends.

 
At 9:25 AM, March 28, 2010, Blogger JJ said...

I caught myself wanting to yum a post just moments ago, but I never know which of my FB friends read this blog. I don't have a problem with the yum itself, it's the constant yumming, the nothing but yumming, that drives me nuts. I'm going to go post a photo of the hojaldra I just made and see if I get any yums... Doubtful. Most of my friends will yum once in a while, but I only have one or two serial yummers.

 
At 10:09 AM, March 28, 2010, Anonymous Jackie said...

I saw your hojaldra photo and knew that is what you were up to. I almost yummed it just for fun.

 
At 10:17 AM, March 28, 2010, Blogger JJ said...

I totally support that. :)

 
At 1:48 PM, March 29, 2010, Blogger My Way said...

I'm seriously disappointed in you Joycee!!!!...I expected you to be wayyyy more irritated than that!

This is my favourite. Friends that say stuff like, "I miss you, we need to hang out, I haven't seen you in so long!".

Um...pick up the phone and invite me somewhere???

 
At 4:55 PM, March 29, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I promise to stop the yumming.

janie

 
At 6:17 AM, March 30, 2010, Blogger JJ said...

Lizard - True fact. They don't really miss them. They're lying. Bastards.

Janie - If you feel you are a serial yummer, and are okay with it, fine. Look within. Decide if the yumming is what defines you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home