Wednesday, February 03, 2010

TV Commercials I Hate Part 2

Back in August of 2007 I wrote a post about commercials I hated. And it isn't because I have not been forced to watch commercials that I hate since then, it's just that right now I don't have much to report and there are a few out there that have been driving me bananas lately. But quietly, in my head.

- Each and every Proactiv commercial, short or long. But there ARE no short ones, so every one of them. There is nothing worse than relaxing on a Saturday afternoon, drifting off to nap time, when the show you are sort of watching on Discovery Investigation channel is interrupted by a Proactiv commercial. Seriously they are like 20 minutes long. This is not an embellishment. They are 20 minutes long.

- They don't play them much anymore, but the same thing goes for the Bare Minerals commercials. I am offended because nobody that I know or care to know looks in the mirror the way these models do when they are putting on their makeup. Most people are like me, checking their watch, realizing they are running late, picking at a blemish and battling two cats on the vanity. But they don't play them much anymore so you'd think I'd be over it.

- I'm an AT&T customer, and have been for a few years, by choice, and now that I have my iPhone I HAVE to be one, but if I could I would drop them like a hot rock based solely on the current commercials featuring Luke Wilson. I used to like him, but now I can't stand him because he is in everything, every bad movie, guest spots on sitcoms, and now these stupid stupid AT&T commercials. Who is his agent booking him for all this stuff? Doesn't he know how to say no? Stop. Just... stop.

- Olive Garden commercials in general, because everybody in them is an idiot. The families portrayed are like no family I have ever known, and the friends-getting-together ones are a bunch of complete tools I hope I am never friends with. Plus the food makes me kind of nauseous.

- Anything by Comcast. You're wasting everyone's time.

- The York peppermint patty one where the really pale girl is experiencing this type of candy, or peppermint in general, for the first time ever. I don't believe anyone has ever been this affected by a candy bar.

- E-Surance. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'm going to buy my car insurance from a cartoon? I'd rather buy it from a gecko or a caveman. Or, you know, a real live insurance agent.

- Healthy Express Fresh Mixers (I should google that and make sure that's right), the ones with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss in them. I don't know. She just isn't the same since Seinfeld. I know everyone tells me I should watch her new show but I just can't. She isn't the same and every time I watch she is doing something either boneheaded or pathetic, and I can't take it. So I'm not buying the meals, and I don't think Elaine would, either.

Just about every show I watch is on at 10pm so I DVR them and can fast forward through all this garbage. Maybe I'm the only cynic. Maybe I'm the odd man out for not fitting their target audience. That's okay. I prefer it.


-

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, February 04, 2010, Anonymous Kim S said...

Thank God, I found the blog! My computer crashed and not only did I lose any email addresses that weren't in my address book (um, 90% of them...) I lost all my favorites. So, I am very glad I found TtheD by Google. Can you email me so I have your addresses again?! OK and I LOVED the Farrells blog!!

 
At 9:29 PM, February 05, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you perhaps add Chantix to the list of awful commercials? I swear you could do the 3 "S's" in the morning before that thing is over!! And why take a pill that may cause you to want to kill yourself???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home