Wednesday, November 04, 2009


So I'm supposed to take these antibiotics for 10 days for my left ear. Apparently after seeing the horror in there, the doctor took no chances and prescribed an antibotic ear drop along with the stronger oral antibiotic. I'm supposed to put 10 drops in the ear twice a day, which is fine, my aim is good and so far I have not dribbled any of it down the side of my neck, which seems like something I would do, especially when you consider there is no getting over the shock of that first drop hitting home, all cold and wet and in your ear.

Apparently along with having a small mouth, I also have a small ear canal, because 10 drops seems to be just a little too much. In theory (or as prescribed) I'm supposed to keep my head tilted to the side for five minutes for the drops to really get in there, but a) it kind of freaks me out to wonder where exactly all that medicine is going when it funnels down the canal and b) five minutes is WAY too long for me to sit with my head tilted. One night I just laid on the couch like that, but that meant I had to hear out of my bad ear and cover my hearing ear so watching TV and not hearing it was tiring after about a minute. For the most part I just stand in the kitchen and wait, or try to do things that I can do while tilting my head. Filling the cat bowl with water is not one of those things. Neither is trying to swallow the oral antibiotic but I certainly wasn't going to let common sense and logic keep me from a lesson to be learned. I can pet the cats, who are always on the counter these days, and I can read the stuff that's on my counter, but again, I'm good for about two minutes tops and then I shove some cotton in my ear and go about my morning or evening, as the case may be.

But then I'm deaf for about four hours again, until it finally sort of clears itself up when I'm not paying attention. I've never had any real pain with this infection, so it's not like I can tell if it's working by feeling better. I just have to trust the prescription. Ten days is a long time to have to keep doing this, especially if you have patience issues like me.

On another note, I spoke with my cousin Dan in Vale today about our upcoming trip. He didn't know we were coming, so I gave him a bit of shit for not keeping in touch with his cousin, which confused him, because my cousin Helen is actually his aunt, which led him to give me some shit for not keeping track of the family, which really shouldn't be a huge surprise to him. He'll be around this weekend, so that's good, and we had a nice chat. We still claim we are going to the homestead, which will be neato and might even warrant an actual camera as opposed to just my iPhone, but we'll see how I remember in the packing process tomorrow night. Apparently it's rugged terrain, and it will be cold. Colder than shit, actually. Remember how I don't really have coats? Just that one wool one I wear to work (but not yet because I can't until December 1). Anyway the conversation kind of fired me up, and so far the weather doesn't really call for horrific conditions over Cabbage Hill (so far. Remember, it's me and Barbie on this trip), so I guess I am getting excited for it.

That's petty much all I've got for today. Work is fine, home is fine, life right now is fine, just plugging (unplugging?) along, living the dream, tilting my head.


At 8:52 PM, November 05, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your picture makes you look manic.

At 8:59 PM, November 05, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

Thanks. I am.

At 6:41 AM, November 06, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That eye, I want to thunk it.

At 6:47 AM, November 06, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

Try it. I'll kick your ass.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home