Saturday, October 31, 2009

Can I get a Go Ducks?

Dear Ducks,

Good morning. I don't have to tell you how important today is. ESPN is in Eugene for College Game Day, the fans are frenzied, and you have some major focussing to do. This is a huge game for me, but I wanted to remind you about perspective as it relates to your performance on the field today.

This is USC. And USC has a long tradition of just being intimidating for what they are. Not necessarily who they are, but what they are. Just because they are USC doesn't mean you should be intimidated. We've all been watching their strengths and weaknesses this year. They should never have beat Ohio State, and they lost to Washington. They're good, but they're not great. And today, they are just another opponent.

I'll admit that when this season began I didn't think it would be a great season for you, Ducks. I didn't think it would be a bad one, I just didn't think it would be great. After Boise State (and I take full responsibility for that loss, by the way, so I apologize), I felt like this might be one of those seasons where we just sort of hung in the middle. I was okay with that, emotionally, and certainly was ready to stand by you as I have for 44 years with total support no matter what the turnout.

But look what you've done! One game at a time, you have managed to climb out of mediocrity and be outstanding. Weekly I become more impressed, more enamoured, more proud of all of your talents. As a team you're like poetry. Your confidence shows on the field and you are a joy to watch. So although my own stomach is in knots this morning, yours shouldn't be.

Because today's game is just another game, and USC is just another team - not bad, but not great, either. They are expecting to put you down a notch, but I am asking you today not to let that happen. Let your confidence shine through. Go in there today knowing who you are, who you have been all season, and play like you've been playing every week up to now.

Be who you have been all season. Be the 2009 Oregon Ducks - impressive, confident, strong.

Yours,

TtheD

9 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, October 31, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the win!! I´m sure you´re pretty pleased with your Ducks tonight!!

 
At 9:40 PM, October 31, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

I am! Thanks, Beck! (Did I guess right?)

 
At 1:12 AM, November 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JJ, the Duck God heard your plea and look what happened!! 5 & 0. I am so pleased. This comes from Nana and you should know what that is.

 
At 1:13 AM, November 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

duh, I meant, "who" that is... it's late, deal with it.

 
At 6:31 AM, November 01, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

I know who you are, Nana!

 
At 10:57 AM, November 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I know that you know 37 million Beckys....you did guess correctly...but which one??

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

 
At 11:22 AM, November 01, 2009, Blogger JJ said...

BeckLA!

 
At 12:27 PM, November 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D

Busted!!

 
At 8:21 PM, November 07, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know someone who is going to be disappointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home