Monday, August 10, 2009

I don't want to be like July.

What happened to July?

I just got back from tanning - thought I would go at 8:30, after the "How I Met Your Mother" rerun, but it was a stupid episode so I left around 8:15. I noticed it was twilighty, not enough to have to turn on my headlights, but getting there. I started thinking about how much I look forward to the days getting longer when it's winter and spring, and how I barely notice when, after June 20, the days start getting shorter again. By the time I got out of the salon it was dark and I definitely needed my headlights. 8:45. What a bummer.

I think that for the last few years July has just kind of passed quietly without leaving any kind of a mark. Sure, you have the 4th of July, but after that, nothing. Next thing you know, you wake up and it's August. It seems like summer is just June and then the 4th of July and then August, two months and a day. I feel kind of gypped, because for me, winter is like 9 months long with no reprieve. Just cold. Usually wet. But always cold.

So I was just kind of sitting here, remembering where I was last August, and how July 2008 didn't really happen either. I feel sorry for July. July is becoming like one of those people that just plod through life without making any kind of an impact on anyone else. Sure they have one or two days where they're on fire, but once the heat backs down nobody really remembers them. They just sort of fade into obscurity. Like July itself.

I don't want to fade into obscurity. I don't think I would want to be like July.

2 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, August 11, 2009, Anonymous Barbie said...

I agree with you. July flew by and because we had some horrible heat days (even for me), we didn't think much of the month itself. Summer is so short; I hate it when one full month basically doesn't exist. My question to you is: What can we do to change this syndrome?

 
At 6:33 PM, August 11, 2009, Anonymous Jackie said...

What a great analogy. I am on the other side of this equation as I leave my house usually before the unGodly hour of 6Am to go to work. It is getting lighter noticeably later and later. I am so dreading the days when I drive to and from work in the dark. I HATE it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home