Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Getting fired up to miss every stop light on T-V Highway

So I'm still at home because I have to leave at 8am (or so, it snowed a teeny tiny bit last night, just enough to dust my uncovered car so I have to scrape it off before getting on the road) and head on BACK to Hillsboro (can I even do justice to how flipping FAR it is and on top of that how insanely INCONVENIENT it is to get from my apartment to the courthouse?) for Stage 2 of the saga that is jury duty. I called yesterday at 4pm, dutifully, after my 3:30 left, and at first thought I was safe - they called jury number 44 first, and then continued in a numerical fashion... until, in the middle of number 126 and number 147, they named me. Juror Number 18. I listened to it twice just to make sure.

They called 2 groups, so I am hoping that I still will be able to make my 11:45 doctor appointment. And then after that, back to work. I realize that if I DO get chosen, I will probably be working evenings and dispensing judgement days. It makes me cranky just thinking about it, so I won't. Because I have no idea what today is all about. Maybe this is where I get to say "Hang the bastard" and get the boot. But you know I won't, and I will answer all questions truthfully and with some thought. Maybe I'll be out of there early. I hope so. It's still month end, you know.

Which leads me to something I simply must say: I am so sick of escrow that it is all I can do to contain myself. As a rule, we in escrow know going in that we are going to be blamed for everything. We know it. But we still do the job because of the control and the compensation and the knowing everything. As of right now, however, I am done. I am tired of being the one thrown under the bus no matter how hard you kick your ass to get something done. I can control only so much. But no matter what the situation, it is always my fault. There is just no amount of money that makes that okay. The people I deal with, clients, sometimes customers, are just plain rude and it brings me back to, When did it become okay to be a dick and have bad manners? This business is thankless and stupid and frankly, I am going to be happy to be done with it when I am. Which better be soon. So long as this jury duty thing takes care of itself early.

If it doesn't, look for my upcoming book, Juror Number 18, coming soon to your favorite bookseller. Nothing I do has ever been less than a story, and this has the potential for an epic. I can feel it.

7 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, February 27, 2007, Blogger My Way said...

I say roll with it!

 
At 2:28 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When life gives you limones, make margaritas!

 
At 3:19 PM, February 27, 2007, Blogger My Way said...

Or you could like, take the limones and rub them in they eyes of the enemy.

 
At 3:41 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be first in line to buy Juror Number 18.

hugs,
janie

 
At 5:49 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillsboro jury duty could be a blessing in disguise. Write on.

RT

 
At 5:52 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw - we loved our last escrow agent. She showed us the commission sheet which she always does. This one glaringly revealed that our scumbag of an agent was getting paid on both sides of the deal despite our agreement that anyone finding our place sans agent would not be set up w/ a buddy in his office. Not only did he do that, but arranged a sweet % back to his pocket. Escrow agents rule! And Go redfin.com! I think she knew you, too.

RT again

 
At 7:19 AM, February 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing that will keep those attorneys from putting you on that jury is if you start throwing up on them...I swear it JJ, you are sunk. I would SO put you on my jury honey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home