Saturday, December 16, 2006

I started out well, then sort of faded out

Okay, time to get up to speed.

I got home late Wednesday night (around 11:15pm walking in the door). Thanks to Kathy for the ride, as usual, not sure why she keeps volunteering but I sure appreciate it. Also thanks to Shelia for the early morning drop off on the Tuesday before - she was right on time as usual (always a plus for me) and I really had no issues with the rope lighting. The ticket counter agent at America West/US Air was in a great mood at 5am and gave me bulkhead all the way through to Cancun. I think she was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even bat an eye as I whipped out my Visa to pay the $50 your-luggage-is-way-too-heavy fee (60 lbs going out).

Flight there was uneventful but good Lord I dislike flying anymore. I arrived in Cancun and through immigration and customs quickly. A seat-mate from the Phoenix to Cancun leg, sort of a bookish computer geek with socks and Birks got the My Place shpiel from me, but he was staying in Valladolid for just two nights so I figured I wouldn't see him again. There was a guy in the immigration line, and a couple waiting at baggage, that got it too - they were on a rewards trip with a network marketing deal - similar to Cyberwize, different ingredient in the go-go juice. They tried selling me, I tried selling them. I think we both ended up winning.

I was in my unit (302B) at Salvia by 4pm and across the street to My Place by about 4:30. Good to be home, no question. The place of course looks great, and every time I walk in for the first time it's like I never left the last time (taking a vacation every 3 months doesn't hurt). I knew that Dave and Marita were in town so I was looking forward to seeing them again, and then there were some folks from VCI in town for their weeks and Victoria from work was also somewhere in there.

Pretty much one day bleeds into the next. I did all the things I like to do on a Cancun vacation these days - run errands. Run errands. And run errands. Seriously, you are there from 10am and don't stop until sometimes 2am. We would find ourselves saying, Yesterday when we were at Costco... and realizing it was just earlier that morning.

My Place is starting a Tequila Tasting Tuesday gig - sounds fun and dangerous. 20 tequila tastes for $10 US. The first night Joe tried it out (my last night there) he had 2 people doing it and they raved at how fun it was. Good to know. Because of this gig, they are stocking up on some really nice tequilas. Cool bottles, fun shapes... seems like every time I sat down at the bar somebody would stack them all in front of me though. Like this:

Besides all the running, I did some fun things. Met Kim at Plaza Kukulkan for some UltraJewels event that was basically an excuse to drink wine, chit chat, and look at Tiffany and Coach. It was nice, and one of my earliest evenings.

Saturday was the IWC Holiday Tea, nice, but sort of quiet - not very many people came. It was good to see people from the club though. Also had dinner on Tuesday with some girlies, and I really enjoyed that as well. Woops, some girlies and Chris. Sorry, bro.

The weather was uncooperative if you were a tourist but okay for me as I preferred the running around part and didn't want to feel guilty missing out on the sun. How's that for a positive spin?


All in all I had a good trip, hanging out with the people I want to hang out with, seeing my friends and acting like I don't have a horrifically stressful job back in the states that unfortunately pays me well and affords me the luxury of traveling back to Mexico often. I don't work with many people like this:As for here, well we had a big windstorm that knocked out power to a bunch of people (but not me) (though it DID kill my cable for a morning - bad Wilma flashbacks) and to businesses like my Starbucks and ALL THE OTHER BUILDINGS BUT MINE in my office complex. Nice. This morning there is a thick frost on everything but at least it isn't raining.

I have errands to do. Perhaps I will write more later (like this wasn't enough). I just didn't want you guys to feel neglected.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, December 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly you must have many more pictures to post, and lots more writing ... c'mon you slacker!

love ya,
janie

 
At 7:57 AM, December 17, 2006, Blogger SS said...

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had fun!!

Sorry mine has been updated so infrequently, but with farm duty every weekend I'm bushed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home