Sunday, February 19, 2006

Back, in the tundra

Oh my hell. Well, my reentry to the land of the free was a shocking one. I really wasn't expecting it to be 25 degrees when I landed at PDX, but sure enough, it was. And still is. No sweatshirt or jacket, no close-toed shoes for me! Long sleeves and Birks, isn't that what everyone wears in February? Christ, it was cold at the airport! I seriously thought I was going to lose a finger.

I made it in relatively on time, perhaps 10 minutes late, which is pretty dang good considering that I almost missed my morning flight. Just because you get up at 4am to catch an 8:15 flight, don't think karma isn't going to be right there with you. I waited til the last minute to pull my passport out of the safe at VCI and sure enough, for the first time in recorded history the safe was broken and wouldn't open. Much bedlam and pleading for assistance from Jose, Jeremias and my two known spirit guides later, and I am being raced to the airport at break-neck speed in the family truckster. I made it there at about 7:16am (which, isn't it a law where you have to get there exactly one full hour prior to your international flight or you simply can't fly? My flight was scheduled for 8:15...). I pleaded with the ticket agent and was successful (you know, she really wasn't that hard to convince) but it was probably because Arturo was just getting off shift and was standing behind me waiting to say good bye. Was she so easy because I know an immigraton officer? Who knows, maybe. But the good news was, I got to say good bye to Arturo and got to get on the plane.

More good news - I had approximately 186 pounds of luggage between my three suitcases and was ultimately only charged for the overweight on one of them ($50 US all the way through). I was really expecting to be charged for all three of them as they were all over by at least 3 pounds (the one I was charged for was actually 79 pounds - the suitcase empty has to weigh 40 pounds). Then from Phoenix to Portland I paid $100 to upgrade to first class just so I could sleep a little more comfortably. Remember when first class meant food on real plates and warm wash cloths and your soda in glasses? I just got a better assortment of nuts. But it was still worth it.

Yeah, so, Barbie picked me up and we collected my 180 + pounds of luggage and made our way to the car. We stopped at Albertsons for a coffee and some chips and salsa (perhaps the Raleigh Hills Albertsons is not the best choice for Mexican food. Now Nancy, on the other hand, would have loved the selections in their ethnic food aisle. It's just a regional thing.). After a bit we bundled up again and went to Casa Colima for some grub (again, not what I was hoping. The owners are friends of mine, though I did not see them nor even try to see them, and Colima is a western state in Mexico, so if you are jonesing for a chimichanga or a hard shell taco, come on down. Don't expect to find anything hotter than a jalapeno, either). I did get some decent sopa de albondigas and even spoke some Spanish...

My car is dead. Needs an alternator. Which, if I replace it, will be alternator number 3 for a car that I have driven for a year and a half. What the heck is that all about? My mom told me I could borrow hers though til I figure out what the heck I am going to do, so that's nice. In the light of the morning I still have no idea what I am going to do. Perhaps someone could TELL me what to do.. I guess I will call for work beginning Tuesday and see what develops.

Today I will go see my brother, my mom, the Lexus dealership with Barbie, and Washington Square. I figure between these destinations I should run past perhaps 14 Starbucks, so I will get my fill of that. I have to get some sweaters and socks from Kathy's house as well so I suppose I should phone over there at some point, but it's early and she'll be asleep for a while. I am not kidding you when I tell you it is 28 degrees right now (typing that just gave me a chill). Enjoy the heat in Cancun, dear readers, I remain jealous as all hell. Thank God it's sunny and clear, I am not sure I could handle this in the rain.

Ciao for now, I will be back. I hope you continue to watch, you know, it's not like my life is still not traumatic...

4 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, February 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce-
Glad to hear you made it home and the extra luggage didn´t cost you a fortune - see I told you! Keep us posted on re-entry into life in the USA. I´m not jealous of the cold, but I would kill for a hit from Starbucks!
Take it easy!

 
At 8:51 AM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home Joyce!! I was thinking of you and how COLD it is here and was hoping you wouldn't have too much climate shock, but I'm sure you did. Did you see the snowflakes last night?! I'm looking forward to getting together. Casa Colima isn't that great is it...but don't worry I have some places in mind to take you!

 
At 7:44 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now, that just made me sad because now I really know you are not here any more. It's in the blog and everything. :( I need a moment to collect myself....sniff sniff.

 
At 7:39 AM, February 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyce - We're missing you here. And I hate to say but it's been getting hotter since you left. I went for a run in the Parque Kabah yesterday (you know, when the duck bit me) and I was sweating like a pig. Gonna have to turn on the old a/c one day soon.

Let us know how the job hunt goes (or rather how quick they jump to have you)!

Wool socks, Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home