Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Brief reprieve

So many thanks go out to that packing maniac Janet. Yesterday while we were waiting to get piles of money from the cambio across from My Place, and while I was moaning and groaning about how I have to be out of here today, the 31st, and lug my crap via the family truckster over to Elizabeth's and then lug it over to Puerto Juarez to the ferry and on to Isla to stay for 2 more days with Victoria, that crazy Jan Jan suggested that I call my landlord to see if I couldn't just stay a couple more days. Quick math revealed that it would cost me about $17 US a day to do just that, so I phoned Martha. She told me not to worry, that I can stay til the weekend as she was going to Aguascalientes and wouldn't be needing to get into the apartment until she returned. Sweet mother of Jesus! So now it is Tuesday morning, the 31st, and where the previous plan was for me to be out of here, my suitcases travelling around greater Cancun in the back of the Odyssey until Liz got home from work, they (and I) now sit in Los Picos #4 until Thursday. Thanks, Janet, airhugs!

So I went to Isla on Sunday night around 5pm and met up with Victoria and her friend Duane. The beer and tequila were free so I indulged a little, and got the 10:30 ferry home. It was a bit of a pain getting a taxi from Puerto Juarez, but I got one and all is right with the world. Today there is a possibility of me running down to Playa del Carmen to meet up with them again, but I will wait for a phone call. Isla was bustling - good to see. So is Cancun.

My neighbor Laura loaned me the dvd on Wilma - a local production company put together a video with a few interviews (in Spanish) and a whole lot of footage commemorating the biggest storm in our history. I watched it and cried. It had great music in the background and the pictures and devestation were obvious, but it was the way the video made you FEEL that gave it its impact. I suppose that to the non-Cancunense it would be interesting to view. But for the person who lives here and experienced it, it was very emotional. Before I go I am going to run out and buy it.

That's it for now. Not sure that I will be blogging much in the coming weeks but I might, so check back in. Most definitely will be relaying a follow up from the States when I get back, anyway. And this may not be the last blog from Depto 432 either, now that I have a few more days left around the supermanzana.

1 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, January 31, 2006, Blogger JJ said...

Consider it done! I will most definitely get a hold of you, gonna need your phone number I think but I will send you an email prior. Thanks for painting a pretty picture of the land of my birth... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home