Sunday, June 14, 2009

Not to beat a dead horse, or anything

but I rented "He's Just Not That Into You" last night. I guess it was kind of a stupid choice for me to begin with, but I wanted something light where I didn't have to think. I think you guys pretty much know the premise - dating in the oughts and how challenging relationships can be, yadda yadda. Seriously I won't get up on a soapbox about how ridiculous the whole theme itself is in terms of its target audience, but you probably know what I would say if I did.

For those of you have not seen it and plan to, I'm going to talk about it now, so you can choose to keep reading or not.

I will say this - it was a pretty A-List cast, which means that a lot of people really bought in to the whole premise, though I really felt pretty much everyone in it over-acted. I mean they could have done better. It was collectively too forced. Like maybe the idea of the script (based loosely on a non-fiction work that did pretty well and had some good basic things-to-keep-in-mind-when-you're-obsessing-over-a-man kind of advice) attracted these actors but by the time they actually committed to it and read the script they were sort of like, Okay, let's just get this over with.

Anyway I think they covered the gamut of situations in it, relationship-wise: the married woman, the single (oh so desperately single) gal terrified to be alone forever (I am not going to say the "s" word), the girl whose significant other refuses to be a husband, and the almost-trampy yoga instructor who is simultaneously stringing along a barely-male career guy and seducing a married guy for no real reason beyond because she can. Oh. And Drew Barrymore. I'm not sure what all that was about, except to tie up the loose end that is Eric from "Entourage" after the almost-tramp dumps him (neat and tidy, just like life.). You may now fit yourself into a category and enjoy the show.

Because after all, doesn't EVERYONE want to be married?

Wait. I said I wasn't going to get on a soap box OR beat a dead horse.

Here are some things that kind of bugged me throughout and caused me to pause the TV and go feed the cats or have a cigarette (never a good sign when I'm watching a movie):
- When the Jennifer Aniston character decides to break up with Ben Affleck because he doesn't believe in marriage, then goes and hangs with her sisters who are either already married or getting married, and they clearly pity her and her situation. And the rehearsal dinner where the creepy cousin is basically giving her all manner of shit for being single. Over a microphone. And everyone at the dinner looks all uncomfortable, like he's just announced that she's a felon or something, and she can't take it anymore and leaves the table. Come on. What kind of message is this sending?
- When the Jennifer Connolly character decides on divorce not because her husband is banging the tramp, but because he's been smoking behind her back. I mean, I know it's supposed to be all symbolic and shit, but there probably aren't a whole lot of cerebral people in the audience and by this time those that are have probably completely checked out mentally.
- Literally every scene with that chick from "Big Love". Her character was just painful to watch. Somebody, please, beat me over the head with something heavy if I ever get that desperate or pitiful (oh wait, I won't. Ever.).

Okay, so overall it wasn't TERRIBLE, it was just forced and a little all over the place and sent the message that being alone is a horrible, pathetic thing, so avoid it all costs. Oh and while you are out there trying to hold on to (or search for, or settle for) coupledom, remember that guys are wired differently than girls. Lesson delivered.

But I'm not going to beat a dead horse and tell you what I really think about THAT.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, June 14, 2009, Anonymous Barbie said...

Joyce, your review was dead on. I just didn't think of all that when I was watching and enjoying the movie for what it was - good looking clothes and handbags, neat houses and good hair. That's all I want out of life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home