Sunday, March 09, 2008

When did being stupid become en vogue?

It's no question that most of the time that I am home the TV is on. I like the background noise, coming from a large family. I have the ability to read (and retain), clean, and even blog, with the TV on. I have some standard channels that are generally on while I am doing anything other than focussing on the program, like FoodTV, or Bravo, MTV if there is a ANTM marathon (but even that gets old), Biography, History Channel, that kind of thing. It kind of doesn't matter so much the quality of those background programs. But for whatever reasons, I tend to focus on the commercials.

Perhaps it is because they play the same ones over and over again. I promise, by the way, that this isn't NECESSARILY a rant about the commercials themselves. I think it sort of transcends that. But here's where the idea of this post (and believe me, when I haven't got a lot to report, I have to really dig deep to even post at all) was born: that stupid campaign that Philadelphia cream cheese has had going on for like ever.

You know the one. The brunette (the smart one) and the blond (the stupid one) are apparently angels (on account of the wings) and run into all manner of madcap adventures involving cream cheese and it's many variations. The blond is a ditz and the brunette is clearly the voice of reason and rationale. I think if I were a blond I would be really insulted. Anyway, these are mundane, stupid commercials and I never really paid much attention until this morning when one came on about some chili dip recipe the brunette was preparing for their book club. The ditz was like, Did you read the book? And what made me pay attention was the brunette, who didn't answer but instead gave this (I suppose it was supposed to be wicked or knowing or something) look, and the ditz says, Me neither!

I imagine we are supposed to be charmed by that, but here's what irks me. If you are too flipping stupid, uneducated, lazy or scatterbrained to read, don't join a book club. Instead, play bunko or whatever the hell that game is that housewives tend to get involved with when they need an excuse to get away from their snivelling kids and whining husbands once a week but really just want to drink. Book clubs, I think anyway, were probably formed so that people would have the opportunity to read various books, perhaps ones they might not have picked out themselves, and discuss their perecption of it. There are a thousand other groups that stupid people could join, but please don't join a book club if you don't intend to read the books.

Now mind you, I am quite sure that there are some books you just cannot get into, can't seem to finish due to the writing style or content, or perhaps you cannot get to because of circumstances in your regular life - that's okay, shit happens. But what this commercial sort of brings to life to me is that if it's chic (as in, book clubs are chic now, so everyone's doing it) to be in one, but have no intention of (or ability to) actually reading the book so that you can contribute to the discussion in a social setting with like-minded individuals (as opposed to just being there for the chili cream cheese dip and the jello shots), then don't insult the rest of the people that LIKE to read, LIKE that they're smart, and LIKE to interact with others who share their interests. You're stupid - go buy shoes once a week instead.

Which leads me to this - I lost some respect (I know this won't sound very sane) for the brunette angel because after all this time of being the level-headed one, she showed her true colors and admitted she didn't read the book either. As if to say, See? It doesn't matter that I'm not a blond - I can be just as stupid as you! I'm supposed to say, Oh those crazy Philly cream cheese angels up there in heaven! They're just as madcap as us down here on earth! We are often (and especially on TV) faced with the two odds - the smart one and the stupid one - and I always associate with the smart one. Because stupid people really bother me, and I think I'm smart (or maybe I just lack patience).

But also because I don't find it anything to be proud of to be a complete balloon-head and have no desire to get a flipping clue. I can dig perhaps having a tougher time retaining things, but at least try. Despite what "they" would have you believe, being cute but stupid will not get you anywhere in life. Not anywhere good anyway. Because once you lose your looks then you're out of luck.

It's just another one of the long list of pet peeves I have: people thinking that their air-headedness is charming. It isn't. It's tedious. Just don't be around me because I don't want to be bothered with it. I change the channel on TV, I'll walk away from you. And shame on the media for glorifying stupid people and making the masses believe it's okay not to improve your mind.

3 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger My Way said...

"Because stupid people really bother me, and I think I'm smart (or maybe I just lack patience)."

Ditto!

You're mind is interesting....in case no one has told you lately.

 
At 8:20 AM, March 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! A woman after my own heart...I probably never would have even noticed this silly commercial had you not pointed it out. And I can't agree more with your rant!

A fun one!

 
At 7:40 PM, March 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you want some of my old maps so you can drive your point home without getting so lost.

How do you know when a blonde is having a bad day?? When her tampon is behind her ear and she can't find her pencil.

Why was the blondes' belly button sore ? Because her boyfriend was blonde too.

What do you get when you turn 3 blondes upside-down? Two brunettes.

Why did God create blondes? Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge. Why did God create brunettes? Neither could the blondes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home