Saturday, February 23, 2008

I see the ocean ~

It was a game we played when I was a kid and we would spend a week at the beach in the summer - just as we were driving into Cannon Beach (and later, Lincoln City) you'd crane your neck to be the first one to see the blue horizon of the Pacific. I didn't remember this game until this morning, at Tim Casey's funeral, when one of his neices recalled it, and a block fell down from my mental wall. We used to stay at the Caseys' beach houses - we must have got it from them.

My brother Tom just phoned me a little bit ago to tell me that he got the owner's choice award for employee of the year. Tom has had his personal challenges that he always manages to overcome, and it can't be good for his ego or his psyche, but if you go into his apartment you'll see plaques from every year but one in the five years he has had this current job - a job he got on recommendation from the last company he worked for when they closed their doors; I think one year he got employee of the decade at that company. He has been employee of the year by managers' choice and by employees' choice and other things "of-the-year" related, and he told me this time he wasn't expecting anything at all, and then they gave him this. He's proud and he should be. It's funny because he knows he isn't doing anything above and beyond, but just what he would expect in an employee and what he imagines his employer expects from all their employees. Most people just don't get that. Most people just figure the company is lucky to have them.

Life is funny sometimes. You say goodbye in the morning and hello and congratulations later in the day. Life goes on. Today's funeral was at Jesuit where Tim was a legend, and the place was packed. All these people taking a couple hours out of life to remember someone who made an impact on so many.

I guess that's what it is - make an impact. Be something for someone. Influence well or be a part of a postive change. Sometimes I wonder what the next adventure will be, where I am going or what I am supposed to do next. Maybe I'm in the middle of it. Maybe I should just be out there trying to make a better work day for my coworkers or showing random people a kindness. Life is full of struggles and challenges and maybe if we just try to make it a little bit more comfortable for others, we might make a difference. So you make a little impact on one person every day; I guess if everyone did that, maybe it might make life a little easier.

Tim Casey's family made an impact on me today - at the end of the ceremony they handed out little burlap bags of sand from Cannon Beach, tied with a ribbon that says "I see the ocean". I'm keeping it in sight as a reminder of simpler, easier times. And as a reminder that everything we do makes an impact; the choice is ours to make it a positive one.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, February 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joycie,
Thanks for this beautiful blog. I am grieving for Tim and all the Caseys today now that the funeral is over and everyone has gone home.

Barbie

 
At 8:54 AM, February 28, 2008, Blogger AFG said...

Thanks Joyce, it's the little details that make the difference.

And a side of you we don't often see on your blog (although in real life it's more than evident).

A.

 
At 10:25 PM, March 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce...
A wise perspective on life...little acts of kindness go a long way and can make a world of difference to someone.

Lorie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home