Sunday, May 23, 2010

I've decided to stop writing about the weather.

I spend most of November through March anticipating Spring - you know Spring - April, May, beginning of June? Perhaps I've been spoiled by the last decade or so with Spring-like weather in those actual months of Spring: sunshine, breezes, puffy white clouds with no threat of anything ominous, showers here and there... Growing up here we'd always say it starts raining at the end of September and doesn't stop until the 5th of July, because that was pretty much the way it was. One day in roughly 2003 I found myself giving this explanation to someone, when a friend of mine who had not grown up here but had been living here for about eight years at that point corrected me. To her recollection, that was not the case. Perhaps in that short period of time it WAS the case. But all that doesn't matter anymore. It's been raining nonstop the entire months of April and May (so far) and frankly I'm not sure how much more I can take.

I won't continue to bitch about it, but it's only fair to warn you that the rain is no good for me. Yes it makes the flowers grow, blah blah blah, but Jesus Christ do the flowers really need buckets and buckets of never-ending rain every flipping day? Isn't that too much ever for them? Plus it's flipping freezing out. In the 40s. In May. Fuck.

So yeah, I think by yesterday I needed a break. Not just from the rain but also from Wednesday and Thursday, two days that nearly broke me. The desk I have been cleaning up isn't busy, per se, but there were some files on it that seriously took some razzle dazzle to close. Working eleven- and twelve-hour days didn't help either. After contemplating the things that NEEDED to get done around here yesterday, I showered, dried my hair, and took a nap. And then, when I woke up at about 12:30, I decided I wasn't done, and went back to the sofa for another three hours. So yeah, I didn't start running my half-assed errands until around 5:30pm. You know, I'm okay with that. I don't sleep away full days very often, but when I need it, I don't deny myself. Besides, seriously, it was POURING the entire day and who wants to be out in that? I'd rather be inside, doing nothing with the heat on (MAY).

So my cousin Dan won his election. I probably didn't even blog about that. But my cousin is a judge in Malheur County (most of you do not know where that is. It's a good thing we have Google, in case you really want to know) and he was re-elected by a landslide. Some people in the fam were a little apprehensive about this whole thing, due to the religious persuasion of his opponent and the growing number of residents in the county who are of the same persuasion. They hang out in packs, that group. It's not very Christian, if you ask me, but then again, I've never been asked to join a cult so I'm not sure how that works. Anyway, apparently there are more Irish Catholics that vote out that way (and plus, you know, he's been really good for the county), so Dan is the man again. He phoned Thursday night mid-celebration to tell me he was sitting with a guy I (and my friend Becky T much more than me) knew 20 years ago. Because that's the theme of 2010, my friends. People from the past just keep popping up. We chatted; next time I'm in Ontario we'll have beers. Who needs social networking when you're related to half of Malheur County?

My train of thought has just been broken because I had to go turn on the heat AND the light in this room. Because the clouds are growing darker and thicker and though sun usually comes in this room at like 6am this time of year, it's just not today. And because I'm not kidding you it's freezing in here.

But I'm not going to bitch about it anymore. By God we'll have the greenest grass and most vibrant colored flowers in all the land come July.

Fuck.

1 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, May 23, 2010, Anonymous Jackie said...

I think that the older I get the more I hate the gloomy days and the rain. That's why I need to take so many vacations to sunny destinations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home