Tuesday, November 15, 2005

More pics and blathering

Here are a few more pictures for you. I am rethinking this whole "post pictures" thing because frankly, stuff doesn't look like this anymore. The amount of repair going on in the zh is astounding. As you can see from just these pictures there is a lot of work to be done, but seriously you would be shocked to see it now. By no means is it back to normal, but it certainly doesn't look like this anymore.

The first picture is driving down Kukulkan Blvd on the Monday after the storm ended. Looking toward party central. The second is the front of the Fiesta Americana Gran Aqua. The Aqua is a new hotel, opened this summer. We were supposed to have the fashion show there and at the last minute they cancelled on us, but allowed us to move it to the Fiesta Americana Condesa. It was a glass palace. See what happens when you build with all glass in a hurricane zone?

The last picture is of Coco Bongo, Corona Bar and The City, all in party central. Corona Bar now is ready to open (it's that cage looking thing between The City and Coco Bongo). If they open up I will be there, as I know some guys that work there.

Not much going on right now (well, maybe there is a lot more than normal). Raul is still here from Mexico City, which is a good thing for us but not so much for him, as he is missing his betrothed. Today Joe leaves for NYC for a little while, so they have completely moved out of their condo (Janet leaves on Saturday so she is there til then, and the place is a shell of what it used to be). They moved pretty much everything out to the house off Palenque. Poor Janet has no English speaking TV, no computer, she barely has a clock. We'll have to find some sun time.

I spoke with Sergio yesterday, and he is working Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights at Over 30 centro. He is doing other things as well on the side, but times are tough. I told him that Janet and I would go in and see him on Thursday night. Rafa and Ever left for Villahermosa last Friday and it sucked pretty bad to see them go. We took them to lunch near the bus station Friday afternoon and it was just sad to say goodbye. Rafa's family is there and he has a new nephew, and then from there they may go on to see Ever's family in Veracruz. They are keeping in touch via email though. Roberto is in Mexico City with his family, and he wrote to Janet and told her he has a job and is doing okay for now, but it's too cold and he misses the sun and warmth of Cancun. Won't we all...

I am seeing more of Laura these days, which is good. She has a lot going on and is in a better place these days. We'll see how that goes. The Omni (where she sells timeshare) is closed til February 1 but for now they have her doing telemarketing. She isn't digging it but it's a job.

As for me, Joan and Roy come down on November 25 for 3 weeks. I am glad for it. I am glad to see people are coming. Screw Wilma, this is the place we love. Bob and Linda are coming as well as their friend Steve from last year, and some other regulars as well. I will be on the list to come in so I won't feel like I am sneaking around. Tomorrow I have a 10am pedicure and then we are off to VCI (Janet and I) to get some sun time in, and we'll just play it by ear until she goes Saturday. There is a tropical depression (#27) out there looming in the distance and frankly I hope it stays south, toward Central America. Hate for anything to happen to them since they just had Beta in Nicaragua, but good Lord, this town does not need anything else dumped on it.

Okay, I'm off for now. Time to shower and take a look at what I might need from the Oxxo. I went twice yesterday, once for a loaf of bread and an Arizona Te Verde (con miel) and once for a phone card. I just can't get enough of the Oxxo (LOVE the Oxxo) now that it's back. Things are continuing to look up. Vamos Cancun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home